⟦ 3 ⟧

Sykkuno gladly allowed Corpse to help. But first, he gave Corpse the keys to the apartment above.

"Bimbus is probably getting restless in there," Sykkuno mentioned.

They both stood at the counter, whispering as not to bother the customers sitting down.

"Alright," Corpse agreed. Sykkuno directed him to the stairs before leaving to attend to customers once again.

Corpse walked up the creaky stairs, placing his hand on the railing. He assumed it would be dusty, but his hand retrieved nothing of the sort.

When he reached the top, he walked over to the door. He slipped the key in the lock, opening the door. Suddenly, Bimbus jumped from his place on a small couch. He ran to Corpse's feet, sniffing him and recognizing the scent. The dog jumped up, placing his paws on Corpse's knees.

The boy ruffled Bimbus' head and looked around inside. Everything seemed organized and clean. It was much like the dorm where Corpse lived. But it was daintier. Although it was small, Sykkuno managed to fit a bookcase, shelving multiple books and plants.

The apartment contained a different smell than the shop below his feet. It was airier and reminded him of bad weather for some reason. But in a good way, like this home was a hideaway from the awful conditions of the outdoors. He imagined himself sitting down while listening to thunderstorms outside and felt oddly comfortable with the image.

Corpse catches himself before he can take a step into the apartment and jogs downstairs. Sykkuno was still at the counter, talking to a couple. Corpse placed himself beside him as Bimbus walks around, catching the stares the customers give the dog. One little girl bent down and scratched his chin.

"Sykkuno, when did you guys hire another guy?" a man said.

"Oh, he doesn't work here. Corpse is just helping out for the day." Sykkuno responds.

"I see. Well, I'm 5up." the man introduced himself. "This is my boyfriend, Fundy."

Corpse nodded, "Nice to meet you."

After Sykkuno retrieved their green tea, the couple left. Corpse could hear them flirting but also bickering with each other as they walked through the door.

"Some nice friends you have." Corpse commented. Sykkuno chuckled, "Yeah, everyone on this street is super nice."

"I'm glad."

"Mhm, and thanks to you, this shift seemed to fly by pretty quickly," Sykkuno said. "In an hour, we can actually hang out."

Corpse noticed excitement welling in Sykkuno's eyes. Sykkuno was timid when they first met, but after a day, he opened up quickly. Many people in society would claim Sykkuno is pathetic, as he tries to hide things about himself, but at the same time, eagerly attempts to have a conversation.

But Corpse found him rather brave.

Despite having a nervous personality, Sykkuno unknowingly pursues a friendship, even with a person he'd just met.

Corpse could never do that, as human unpredictability was what scared him most.

He didn't know how much of an impulsive person Sykkuno could be. Corpse feared a wildcard, but he figured he could make an exception just this once.

✧ ✧ ✧

Sykkuno locked the door and closed the blinds. He walked over to Corpse and his apron, hanging it up on the wall with his own. After scooping Bimbus into his arm, he turns off the light and gestures for Corpse to follow him.