Chapter 12

The sound of the doorbell chiming resonated through the house as Justin Sr. slammed drawers closed in his bedroom. "I'll get it." Tess hollered as she made her way to the front door.

"Hey." Dominic smiled as she opened the door.

Tess quickly closed the door as she stepped through, joining him on the porch. "Now is really not a good time for you to be here."

"Is everything alright?" Dominic asked, concerned.

"No. Nothing is alright and I doubt it will be for a long time."

"What happened? Is Kat okay?"

Tess responded with a bitter laugh. "She's alive. As far as being 'okay', that's too early to tell ... Kat fainted this morning."

"What?! Where is she?" Dominic took a step towards the door. Tess quickly cut him off, holding out her hands.

"Whoa! My dad really doesn't want to see you right now! He's furious."

"Would you tell me what the hell is going on?!" His frustration apparent.

"You and Kat should have been a little more careful. She's pregnant you idiot."

Dominic blinked at her as his mind worked to process the information. He moved backwards away from Tess until the back of his legs hit the swing. His own legs gave out from under him as he sat suddenly. His hands came up to cover his face as he tried to manage the unbelievable fury that sat in the pit of his stomach ever since he found out about Kats' rape. Then his thoughts started to process everything Tess had told him. Her father was furious at him. Of course they would assume that he was the father.

"How is Kat handling the news?" He asked.

"She's devastated of course. She can't stop crying." Tess crossed her arms over her chest.

Dominic stood. "I need to see her."

Tess rolled her eyes. "If I can get her to come out of her room. Wait here. If I come back that means she didn't want to see you."

Dominic nodded as he thrust his hands into his pockets. Tess entered the house and headed upstairs.

"Who is it?" Justin Sr. called from his room at the end of the hall.

"Jehovah's Witnesses." Tess lied as she stepped through her sisters' door. She approached Kat, who lay wrapped in her covers, surrounded by darkness. She stopped at the edge of the bed. "Dominic's here. He wants to see you."

Kat quickly sat up, panting as fear seized her. "Oh my god! What am I going to do? How am I going to tell him? He's going to hate me."

"I kinda already told him." Tess shrugged apologetically.

"What?" Katrina stood, her anger temporarily pushing back her fright. "Why would you do that? You had no right!"

"It was an accident. I was upset. Why would he hate you? This is partially his fault anyway." Tess replied.

"Shut up! You don't have any idea what you're talking about. You don't know anything." Kat brushed passed her, heading downstairs.

Her trepidation returned as she twisted the knob in her hand, slowly pulling the door open. She cautiously stepped onto the porch, head hanging low. Her body language closely resembled that of an abused animal approaching its waiting owner, anticipating the blow to come. Instead, she felt strong arms gently wrap around her and a soft cheek on the top of her head.

His tenderness helped to ease the ache in her heart, but she didn't let him hold her for long. "I'm sorry." She took a deep breath. "You can't seem to stay out of trouble since you met me."