Chapter 10

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Mr. McCloud yelled at his son in his home office. "You damn near killed that boy. A broken arm, fractured ribs, a concussion, two broken fingers!"

Dominic shrugged. "I didn't mean for it to happen. I just wanted to talk to him."

"About what? Your new girlfriend? Look son, I'm only going to tell you this once. You can not control a woman. She's going to run around and tramp all over the place if she wants to. You have to be smart enough to know when to let go."

"Kat's not a tramp." Dominic defended her.

"You love her." His father was dumbfounded as he sat heavily in his chair on the other side of the massive desk from where Dominic sat.

"Yes."

"Well, I hope her love is worth it boy, because it may have just cost you your shot a good college, law school and possibly your freedom. You do realize that if he decides to press charges you're going to be up shit's creek? There was a class room full of witnesses watching you pulverize him. People are going to think that just because you're the son of the new D.A. you think you can go around doing anything you want and that I let you. Do you know how this is going to make me look?" He stood up and pointed a long finger at his son. "You're lucky you are my son. I might be able to pull some strings for you. Abe is on his way over to discuss your case."

You need to tell us what happened. Why did you attack that kid?" His father perched his large frame on the edge of the mahogany desk in front of him.

"I can't tell you that." Dominic sighed. This was Kat's secret to tell and he wasn't about to violate her trust.

"What the hell do you mean you can't tell me? If we're to build a proper defense we have to know all the details; what led to what happened today." The doorbell chimed in the background, cutting him off. "Wait here."

Dominic rubbed his hands over his face as he leaned forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his thighs. Despite everything, he didn't regret beating Randall's ass. He just wished he'd been more clearheaded. He should have waited until he could get Randall alone where no one would see them. That way he could have taken his time with the little punk, but all he could think about was the torture Kat had been going through the past few months because of what that prick did to her.

Asa McCloud returned with his close friend and excellent defense attorney Abe Alabaster. He chose Abe to represent his son because his brilliant legal mind and sharp attention to details. Once Abe sank his teeth into a case he didn't let go until there was nothing left to chew. Abe sat his suitcase on the desk and turned to Dominic, getting straight to the point, "What happened?"

"I lost it." Dominic shrugged.

"That's obvious. Why? Your father seems to believe it has something to do with some girl you're dating." Abe opened his suitcase and took out a legal pad, pen and tape recorder.

"We're not dating ... you're officially my legal counsel right?" Dominic asked.

"Obviously. That's why I cut my family day short and hauled ass over here. I need you to cut the shit and be honest with me Dominic. You could be in some serious shit before you have time to blink. You're eighteen and will be tried as an adult if this goes to trial." He looked Dominic in the eyes.

"He was harassing her, stalking her, threatening her. The first time I met Kat, Randall was roughing her up in the Aqua Center. She didn't tell me the full extent of what was going on until last night." Dominic told him as much as he dared.

Abe nodded as he scribbled on his pad. "Do either of you have any proof that he's been stalking her? This could be vital to your defense. This state does uphold defense of another person."