A split personality.

It almost seemed as if he were sleeping, sleeping in my arms as I watched over him like I usually did.

No tears escaped my eyes, no shrieks of madness I expected to escape me, I felt empty, alone and destructive. I couldn’t feel him the bond we had crumbled once he took his last breath.

“Shit,” Nikolay continued to wail outside holding his head and kicking at the ground in anger. He had managed to swerve into a curb hitting into a concrete lamppost it’s light still shone over the wreck as he jumped out of the car in shock.

“No, No, No” He screamed at the top of his lungs.              

“Wheresoever you may be, death will overtake you even if you are in fortresses built up strong and high” I whispered softly stroking Themis’s four head.

“How can you say that?” Nikolay spat out from afar.

I remember coming across the saying over the internet while in high school and it stuck with me for so long that this was the perfect time to repeat it; It had been ten minutes now holding him in my lap, I would have been here till morning not wanting to leave his side I don’t think I could ever leave him.

“Nikolay go back to the Colony and see if everyone arrived safely,” I let out.

He gazed at me as if I had lost my mind “What-,”

“I SAID GO,” I snapped my vision turning slightly.

He was ready to retort but instead lowered his head to a bow before sprinting off into the distance.

I continued to caress Themis’s four head my breathing picking up as the anger started to take over the tears stinging my eyes flooding my vision in a cloud of haze “I’m sorry,” I whimpered gritting my teeth “I’m sorry that I hurt you,”

It felt like something was stuck in my throat “This is all my fault Themis, I should have never left you,”

My fingers glided over his lips and into his thinned out newly cut hair “Please, please don’t leave me,”

I jolted at the sound of growls in the distance turning to look over my shoulder before returning them to his pale face.

Tears streamed down my face as I shuffled from underneath him leaving his body sprawled out in the back seat as I stood over him for a second.

The growls grew louder the movement in the distance realising they were closer than I had thought. I’ve never bawled my eyes out at the sight of death, even at my parent’s funeral, this, this was different it left an ache deep within me…., deep within my soul “I love you,”

I leant down my lips meeting his lips that felt the same as when they last touched mine as I pulled away from the car just as the large group of Shadows froze.

I clenched my fist staring out towards the shadows that crawled to a stop some had managed to get hold of swords from the fallen guards they had just battled through.

The light hanging over flickered as my breathing grew heavier, my hair thrashing in different directions from a wind that didn’t exist as the anger of losing Themis devoured me into the dark person I never wanted to become.

My vision washed over in blackness and for the first time I didn’t fight back, I let the very thing I hated most take over into the true destroyer of Vampire shadows.

The light from the lamp post fused brightly before popping loudly, the only light there was, was radiating off me as the flames circled around devouring me in a ball of rotating fire the concrete beneath my feet started to break the cracks splitting down the main road towards the Shadows who still continued to stand there.

The ground shock slightly gradually growing violently as I rose off my feet a few inches from the crack that turned into a large pot hole like it was created by an explosion.

Large tall trees that stood beside the footpath were torn from there foundation and thrown towards the pile of Shadows who moved in surprise by the vast amount being thrown in their direction.

“Why want you just leave me alone,” I cried out the flames thrashing out violently as it blew the tires of the SUV from sheer heat.

Everything around me was starting to crumble into a heap of mess the road was no longer recognisable but rubbles of rocks being shaken away into different directions.

“Athena,” A familiar voice called out as a shadow appeared from the corner of my eye.

Gabrielle appeared from out of nowhere his face so horror stricken he froze where he appeared from.

The Shadows slowly backed away retreating into the darkness where I couldn’t see them, running away from battle they would surly lose to.

“Athena, Athena” Gabrielle yelled from a distance as he held an arm over his head wincing in my direction “Enough, you’re going to destroy the whole town..,” He yelled over the whipping of the flames.

I chuckled tears still streaming down my face “Athena is not here,” I laughed bearing my teeth into a snarl.

I couldn’t control this other side of me and deep inside I knew I would not return to my normal self, there was no turning back when I made the decision to not fight the other me.

Thunder roared out loudly followed shortly by a flash of light as Rain poured down washing over me but didn’t seem to affect the flame that continued to burn brightly.

Gabrielle lowered his hand his jaw dropping suddenly as he stood completely still.

Soft gentle finger slipped under my chin as I turned my head to see Themis standing right beside me his hand had breached the wall of fire.

“Themis,” I cried out as tears streamed down my face.

He smiled softly nodding his head “Come back to me,” He whispered stroking the side of my face with his thumb.

My vision immediately turned back to normal just by hearing the sound of his voice the flames around me stopped as I landed back on my feet.

I held out a hand towards him shaking furiously in the rain, afraid to touch him fearing he was just a dream “Your dead,”

He held out a hand towards me shaking his head “I would have.., if you didn’t kiss me,”

My hand finally meet with the side of his face as I leapt out throwing my arms over his shoulders squeezing him grabbing at his shirt afraid he would disappear if I let him go.

“Hush,” He whispered into my ear “I’m here now,”

“I’m sorry Themis,” I cried out digging my face into the indent of his neck almost sheltering myself fromt he rain now pouring down on us.

He chuckled his hands wrapped around my waist pressing me up against him “I would follow you to the ends of the earth and you know that, so there is nothing to be sorry about,”