Chapter 12

"I don't even know how you knew about me seeing Ruby, but frankly I don't care about that. What I do care about is the fact that you tried to turn Ruby against me, by pretending I broke her trust. You could've ruined our friendship."

Regina didn't seem much affected by this accusation. Instead, she cocked her head and shrugged. "If she'd dropped you as a friend over something I said, was it even a real friendship?"

Emma stepped forward and pursed her lips together in utter annoyance. "No. Don't try and justify your actions. It was shitty what you did. It's your fault it's such a sore topic, and that I really don't like." She kept quiet for a moment and observed Regina's face.

There was no trail of regret or guilt evident on her face. She just looked at Emma with a blank expression. Then, the girl inhaled deeply, ready to say something, but Emma immediately realized she didn't want to hear it.

"You know what, I am so done with you. With everything you do. Congratulations, you win. I'll tell Mrs. French tomorrow that I will refrain from the play."

Emma turned around and sighed. She walked away and when she heard Regina calling her name, she started walking faster. Eventually, she started running, knowing that Regina would never be able to catch up with her that way.

She felt a weird sense of relief. She felt like she could totally let Regina go now. She didn't owe the girl anything and though eventually the situation had ended up being more in Regina's favor, she didn't care anymore.

Though she had started to actually like the play, she just couldn't do it. She couldn't even stand the idea of being in the same room as Regina, let alone play a romantic relationship with her. From the beginning, that had been something less enjoyable, but what she'd done today pushed Emma over the edge.

When Emma arrived home, her mother was sitting at the table and beamed at her with a broad smile. "How was your first rehearsal?" she asked and immediately got up to prepare Emma a cup of tea.

Emma dropped her bag to the floor and groaned. She took off her jacket and hung it on the coat rack before she sat down. She was in no mood to tell her mother about her problems, but she knew she couldn't hold it all in. Her mother always managed to get the truth out of her.

"It wasn't fun?"

"Oh, it was tons of fun," Emma said. "I really enjoyed it. But Regina just keeps pissing me off. I.. I'm going to stop, mom. She's annoying the hell out of me and she tried to ruin my friendship with Ruby."

Mary Margaret set down two cups of tea and took place at the table. She looked at her daughter and Emma just felt the speech coming. The speech of "Regina had problems too, you can't judge her for that". However, Mary Margaret just nodded.

"Okay, I think that's a good idea."

"What? Just like that? No "deep down she's good, don't judge people, give her another chance blah blah blah"?" Emma asked in utter surprise and Mary Margaret shook her head.

"Emma, I always want you to give people a chance, but I don't want you around toxic people. Regina's been upsetting you for a while now and if you feel like she's not worth your time, I'm not going to force you to connect with her. You clearly gave her a chance and I appreciate that, but I don't want to make you unhappy."

Emma smiled. She hadn't expected that, but it made her feel even better. "It's such a shame that Regina makes it so unenjoyable to be part of the play. You'd really started to like it, right?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Yes, I was. Honestly, I wish it didn't have to be this way, but oh well.." Emma pouted slightly as she shrugged. "I really thought you'd want me to give it another chance. You always talk nice about everyone."