I CAN'T LET YOU GO

Izuku Midoriya PoV

I awaken early, determined to get to school as quickly as possible. Maybe when I get home today Kacchan will be in a better mood. Perhaps he won't beat me until I can't hold my eyes open any longer. Perhaps, instead, he'll offer me a kind word and a pat on the head. Or, possibly, he'll be with Kirishima. The one he loves. The one who I can never hope to be. The one I'm slowly coming to hate.

I step out of our red brick house and into the cool, crisp morning air. The chilled bite of the slight breeze sends a small shiver through my body and I pull my jade cardigan tighter around me. I sling my school bag, which is a messenger bag, over my shoulder and begin the long trek to school. I'm hoping to get in a bit more training in before Aizawa's class. My goal is still to become the number 1 hero after all. Maybe then Kacchan will love me.

I start towards school in the periwinkle dawn lighting, relishing the feel of the crisp, cool morning air. I trot along at a brisk pace, wanting to get to school as quickly as possible. The city has not yet started to come alive with the early morning bustle, and I see only a few people as I walk briskly to school. The school looms before me, a giant amongst men, and I stop short. I hadn't realized I had been getting so close due to the fact that I was lost in thought. I take a calming breath and step through the gates. The breeze whispers against my skin as I pass under the cherry blossom trees, It's spring so they are in full bloom, and towards the front doors. Suddenly, the wind picks up and my cardigan flies up into my face. The cherry blossoms are floating down as I push my cardigan down. The wind slows down and cherry blossom petals drift to the ground leisurely around me. And there he is walking towards me through the cherry blossoms. Shouto Todoroki walks towards me, the falling cherry blossom petals framing him. It would be a scene out of a romantic film if I was in love with him. Unfortunately, I'm not in love with him. I'm in love with Kacchan, who would never give me the sweet smile Todoroki is giving me now. Who would never sat the kind things Todoroki does. Maybe it would be better if I got over Kacchan. The problem is I can't let him go. And then, it's over. He reaches me and I give him a warm smile.

"Good Morning Todoroki-kun," I chirp, smiling brightly.

"Good Morning Izuku, you're here early today," he says, smiling slightly.

"I woke up earlier than usual so I decided to come to school early," I say, still smiling.

"Well, since you're here, why don't we hang out for awhile?" he asks.

"Sure," I say, happy to spend time with him.

We walk around to the other side of the school where there is a grassy knoll. We lay side by side and watch as the sun peeks over the horizon. The colors dance across the sky, a collage of gold, purple and pink. I smile slightly and glance at Todoroki. I smile at him and, in that moment, we are the only two people alive. Me and my friend Todoroki. And then, I remember Kacchan and the moment shatters. I get to my feet slowly.

"Let's go inside Todoroki-kun," I murmur awkwardly.

"Sure, but please drop the honorifics Midoriya," he says with a slight smile.

"Ok Todoroki," I say, smiling back.

Without the honorific his name feels foreign in my mouth, though admittedly I don't dislike it. We walk in a comfortable silence, both lost in thought. That is until he turns his burning gaze on me and says words that make my stomach drop.

"Midoriya you look hurt and sad. Talk to me please," he murmurs to me.

"I can't. It hurts Roki. It hurts. I'm in a situation I can't control. I can't escape it because I can't let him go," I say, my eyes filling with tears.