Chapter 1: What Makes a Life?

Disclaimer!: I DO NOT OWN ONE PIECE! I own my OC(s), and that's just it, we are on a fanfiction site/ story site.

ALSO - RATED MATURE FOR A REASON!

Like...sorry....not gonna give much on warnings......

Time for the chapter!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ If I am to die..... Let me die protecting what I love.... ~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[6:00 pm CST; November 20, 20XX]

Walking back home from the bus stop, it had been a long day filled with college classes and work. The end of November is here, winter's full blast right around the corner. Enjoying the tunes from my headphones as I made my way home... that is.... until I hear Britney Spears Oh Baby, Baby attacking my ears, interrupting the last song.

I swear, one of these days, I will find out who keeps taking my phone to change the ringtones....

"Hello, hello, Astrid speaking."

"ASSSSTTRRRIIIDDD!", I winced as I lowered down the volume.

"Jules, what's up?"

"Welllll, I had an idea, and I wanted to talk to you about this idea that I have."

"If it involves me having to spend Thanksgiving break with you, you have to forget it."

"Astrid! It's a great idea, I just know it! So, in order to bring it into fruition, you have to spend break with me."

"And as I was saying before during our lunch break, since we are on a rotation list on who I will be spending the holidays with, this Thanksgiving Break I'll be going over to Lizzie's house."

"Buuuuutttttttttt Astrid~" , whined one of my dear best friends over the phone, "it'll be more fun if you come over to my house this break. Think about all the high-jinks we'll get into!"

Heading off the side-walk, and walking across the parking lot, I waved hi to the front desk receptionist as I headed towards the stairs, bookbag thumping against my leg.

"Jules, for the love of God and everything holy, we share an apartment", I stated, "we not only see each other 24/7, you're practically my brother."

"Astrid,........ I don't think Lizzie would mind.. much..."

"Remember the incident in 11th grade?", I brought up as I made my way up the stairs of the indoor-apartment complex, bookbag going this way and that as the ascent was two flights of stairs.

"How can I for-......... Oh shit, she would mind."

"She would not only mind, but she would wip out that safety knife so fast that she may end up accidentally leaving more than a 3 inch hole in the wall. The last guy that had the pleasure of pissing off Lizzie was lucky that Terry pulled him away last minute when she threw it."

"GrrrrrAAHHHHHH, you should stay at my house though! We shall have a legendary feast, play video games till the sun rises in the horizon, and my parents like you so, so much."

"Everyone's parents like me Jules, not just only your parents", I softly mentioned. "Another thing is that they are happy that I'm a little bit of a good influence on you, and that I, and everyone else in our friend group, are practically a second family. If any of us were in trouble or was having a rough day, we all have each other's backs, no matter what. Would you really want to make Lizzie angry? Especially when you owe her the most favors out of all of us?", I reasoned with him as I shuffled my keys.