Chapter 12

Christi came back with dinner from the cafeteria about a half hour later. When she walked in the door she saw Chloe was asleep on Nick's chest. Christi smiled and looked at Nick who was looking at her. Christi walked over to the bedside table, sitting the food on top of it and then taking a seat on the right by Nick's leg. 

"Should I wake her up?" Christi whispered to Nick.

"I would, she needs to eat something." Nick said, moving his head to look down at Chloe, who was sleeping peacefully.

Christi nodded and put her hand up, to shake Chloe awake, but she paused her movements right when she was about to shake Chloe's shoulder. Christi looked up at Nick.

"Before I wake her up, may I ask why she is laying on you?" Christi whispered again, letting out a slight laugh at the position her daughter and Nick were in.

"Oh, yeah she went to lay her head down on the pillow and when she did, she yelped because the pillow irritates her stitches so, I had her lay down and rest her head on my shoulder and it didn't hurt her stitches, so that is how we ended up like this." Nick whispered to answer Christi's question.

"Oh, did she say anything else was hurting?" Christi asked a concerned look on her face.

Nick shook his head, and then Christi lifted her arm again and put her hand on Chloe's shoulder giving it a slight shake.

Chloe's eyes started to flutter and then soon enough Christi and Nick could see her bright brown eyes. Chloe let out a yawn, and then lifted her head. "Hi." She said, looking at Christi.

Christi smiled. "You feel any better Chlobird?" She asked her daughter. "Yeah, my head doesn't hurt all that much now." Chloe said looking at her mom and then turning her head to look at Nick, who was smiling at her. 

As soon as Chloe saw Nick, she remembered what had happened with the two of them right before she had fallen asleep. Chloe sat up all the way and looked at her mom. 

"Did you go get dinner?" Chloe asked her mother.

"Yes, i did. I got you a salad with milk to drink." Christi said getting up and walking over to the bedside table and grabbing the container with the salad in it and the bottle of milk. She walked over and handed it to Chloe who was now sitting by the table.

Nick got up and walked over to where Christi had sat all of their dinners down. "Which dinner do you want Mrs. Lukasiak?" Nick asked, looking at both of the dinners. 

"I'll have the other salad, and then you can have the steak." Christi responded walking over to stand beside Nick. 

"You sure?" Nick asked, wanting to make sure.

"Yes Nick." Christi said, putting a hand on Nick's shoulder. Christi grabbed her salad and Nick grabbed the plate with the steak on it and both of them walked over to the small table in the hospital room, where Chloe was sitting. Nick sat to the right of Chloe while Christi sat to the left of her daughter. 

Christi, Chloe, and Nick spent the next hour laughing and talking. After everyone had finished eating  Nick  was helping Chloe get comfortable in her hospital bed, while Christi went out into the hallway to call all the moms and Abby, to tell them how Chloe was doing.

Nick helped Chloe into the hospital bed and then went and sat on one of the uncomfortable hospital chairs in the room. 

Chloe looked at him and debated whether or not to tell him she felt him kiss her a few hours before now. She decided she would ask him and she hoped that she would not regret doing it.

"So Nick." Chloe said, looking at him, he was looking at his iPhone screen. Nick looked up at her and put his phone away. "So Chloe." He said, mocking her tone of voice.