CHAPTER 3- A Deadly Encounter

LENA SHIVERED AS THE COLD NIGHT AIR HIT HER. They had to walk for quite a long distance before they could apparate. 

"What's on your mind?" asked Lena, noticing that Albus was awfully quiet.

"Nothing, just thinking," Albus answered

"Thinking about what?" Lena asked.

"The wedding," Albus answered "It seems like your stalling. Every time we talking about planning you've just wanted something simple and small and you didn't care about the calligrapher or flowers. What happened?"

"I have to admit, I haven't exactly been honest with you," Lena said. Albus scoffed and stared at her.

"Could you be a little more specific?" he asked "Because you not being honest with me can include everything from you killing someone or you cheating on me with my brother. Oh my god! You cheated on me, didn't you?"

"No!" Lena exclaimed "I didn't cheat on you nor did I kill anyone... recently. It's... It's just that... The Deverauxs have been released." It had been thirteen years since the Deverauxs had even been mentioned. They were responsible for Lena being an obscurial and killing many students at Hogwarts.

"What!?" Albus exclaimed "But they can't be! Don't they have something like eleven life sentences?"

"Harry explained it to me a while ago when they were released," Lena continued "Apparently, causing someone to become an obscurial isn't a crime and the Wizengamot was aware of that, but since I killed sixty-six people they were imprisoned. They weren't directly responsible so there are different charges for that. They spent some part of it in Azkaban and now they are going to spend the rest of it in the muggle prison. I was exonerated because I had no idea what I was doing, similar to being under the imperious curse."

"What does this have to do with the wedding?" Albus knew it was insensitive to ask but he wanted her to understand Lena.

"They escaped while they were being transferred," Lena said, stifling a sob "They might come after me and the people I love and I can't have that."

"Lena," Albus said sympathetically, rubbing her shoulders "It's okay, we can't stop living our lives just because the people you love are going to get hurt but if you want we can-" Albus didn't get a chance to finish his sentence. Lena pulled him down and a flash of purple light flew over their heads. They turned their heads in the direction of the spell and found a wizard in black robes and a decorated black mask.

"Stupefy," Albus screamed, pulling out his own wand and firing a red light. The wizard dodged it and fired another spell.

"Petrificus Totalus," Lena shouted. The wizard dodged that too and threw a dagger from his pocket towards them. Lena dodged it and fired another spell at him. The mysterious wizard disapprated just as Lena was about to cast another spell.

"He's gone, who was that? Albus?" she turned around to see Albus, leaning against a wall, clutching his stomach. The dagger had penetrated Albus's skin and Albus was bleeding heavily. Lena ran over to him and sat down beside him.

"Lena," he breathed "I... need... you to... help me."

"How?" she asked. Albus winced in pain as Lena touched the dagger. She quickly withdrew her hand.

"Right now, that dagger, argh, is the only thing... preventing me from bleeding out, So if you take it out, I'll die in the next fourteen minutes," Albus panted "But... If it stays in... Just take it out."

"Al, I really think that we should leave it in," said Lena "Fourteen minutes gives us enough time."

"Lena... the dagger was poisoned," said Albus, coughing "The longer it stays in... the longer it releases the venom... quicker I'll die."

"What do you want me to do?" Lena asked, "Should we apparate to St. Mungo's."

"No, I can't apparate... too weak," Albus said. His eyes were rolling to the back of his head and he fought very hard not to close them. "Just do what I say."

"Okay," Lena said, "It's not that hard, just operating on the love of my life and hoping that he doesn't die."

"Okay, pull it out, and then you are going to fix me," Albus directed. Lena used her wand and slowly pulled out the dagger while Albus groaned and complained. Once it was out, Albus moved his fingers to check his pulse.

"Albus, where is the rest of it?" Lena asked, staring at the dagger. Part of the blade had been broken and nowhere in sight.

"It's still too fast," he panted "Still... some pieces inside."

"What?!" Lena shrieked "Albus, we have to go to St. Mungo's now!"

"Lena, we can't! If I apparate now, I will get splinched and that would kill me," Albus said "I need you to find the rest of the pieces and pull it out. Use your wand. I'll give you light. Lumos."

"Al, I don't know how to do this," Lena cried.

"Hey, hey, look at me," said Albus, taking his free hand and stroking her cheek "I'm going to guide you through it. Now, we are wizards so you don't have to go poking through my body. You can't use any summoning charms because they will tear through my skin and that will have several other consequences. Use the levitating charm and guide them out of me. You just need to focus."

"Wingardium Leviosa," Lena whispered and she focused on the pieces of shrapnel that were just on the surface. Albus winced and yelled in pain every time Lena took a piece out.

"Your... doing... good," Albus encouraged her. Lena put her wand down and sighed, but Albus frowned.

"Okay, now I just need to fix it with episkey," Lena said but Albus shook his head.

"No, if you heal it the last piece will get stuck inside," he said.

"I got all of it out," Lena protested.

"No, there's one more," Albus said "Once you get that out, my heart rate should lower and I should be alive till we get to my workplace and I won't die. Just, try to get it out."

She managed to pull out the last and largest piece and saw as Albus let out a sigh of relief.

"Take me to St. Mungo's. Now!" he breathed.

"But you'll get splinched!" Lena complained, "You're already injured."

"Seal the wound, episkey," instructed Albus "Ninety-three percent chance I won't get splinched."

A/N: Yay!! My wrist is healed!! Well... I still have to wear the wrist support/band thing from time to time but I can take it off for most of the day. I really wanted to write this chapter. So far it's my favorite one. Is it weird to have a favorite chapter in your own book?? Lemme know!! As always, check my grammar and spelling.