Part 2

Lera

I open my car door to be hit with the hot, sticky air of mid-July. I take my sandals off, and let my feet sink into the sand. I shut my eyes, just listening to the ocean waves crash in front of me. 

"Hurry up and help us with the bags already!" I'm pulled out of my trance by Noah glaring at me from the back of the car.

I walk to the back of the car to grab my bag before hauling myself to our ice-blue front door. The whole house seems like a dream, the type of house you see in movies. My mom fumbles with her keys, trying to figure out which key belongs to which thing. Classic.

She finally finds the key to the beach house, and pushes past us to unlock the door. The lock clicks and she pushes the door open with her elbow. 

It's breathtaking.

Its interior is decorated with light blue and seashell pink tones, with little ornaments decorating every spare inch of the kitchen/dining room. White oak floorboards run throughout the house, creating an open, bright space. Seashells line the cabinets, and potted plants dot the spare floor space.

I drop my bags at the front door, before pulling Kat's hand down the hallway. Snug couches sit facing a large, wooden bookshelf, an inviting sight. 

But my eyes are drawn to the left side of the room. A fragile looking, white grand piano sits underneath a large window, its frame matching the floor color. I've always loved the sound of a piano, but never been able to play. But, the bookshelf does entice me. I scan the titles, my eyes stopping at the collection of classics. Little women, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering heights, Jane Eyre, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, and a whole shelf dedicated to Taylor Jenkins Reid! I could be here for hours.

"Come on Lera, let's go find our room!" Kat exclaims, pulling my hand back towards the front of the house. 

We grab our bags, and haul them up the long staircase. 4 bedrooms make up the upstairs level, the kids level. 3 of the rooms have 2 single beds on either side, and the other has a queen size bed. The rooms will be split into me and Kat, the boys, and Christian's younger sister, Fern, with the larger room left as a spare. Christian and Fern's parents will be sleeping in one of the downstairs rooms, with my mom in the other. 'To get away from you all' they had said.

We open the door to our room, and take in the sight. Fresh, blue linen sits at the foot of our beds, the walls a cool grey color. There's a dresser on each side of the room, and ornaments alike the ones in the dining room decorate the top of them. A large, circular window sits in-between the two beds, showing where we parked the car earlier. 

I throw my stuff down on the left bed, before Kat pulls me onto her bed. 

"This is going to be the best summer ever!" She yells at me.

"We're going to have so much fun!" I scream back, holding her hands and jumping up and down. 

My brother pokes his head in our doorway on the way to his room.

"You guys are so lame." He says, rolling his eyes.

I poke my tongue out in response. I don't care how stupid he thinks we look right now, I feel so energized. After a long year of school, I need a break. Preferably one that includes sipping lemonade on a beach towel for 2 months straight. Oh look, here we are!

Tired out, me and Kat fall down onto her bed, giggling with excitement. 

"Hey Kat?" I ask once we've caught our breathe.

"Yeah", she answers, rotating her head towards me. 

"What do you think is going to happen this summer?"