Part 17

Lera

I'm woken by a thumping sound coming from the stairs. Who's awake at 6:30? The sound only becomes louder and more frequent as seconds pass. I sit up in bed and look over at Kat. The sound mustn't have woken her, her face looking as peaceful as it always does. I quickly push off my sheets and go to my door, opening it warily. I peek out to the hallway, only to see Christian bent over, clutching his knee at the top of the stairs, still dressed in his wetsuit. I quickly shut my door behind me before sprinting to the top of the stairs. I grab his face in my hands, lifting his head up to eye level. His face is white, his hair messy and dripping with water. 

"Hey, what happened?" I ask urgently, rubbing my thumb along his cheek.

"The fin of my board cut my knee after a wave. I haven't looked to see how bad it is, but it definitely feels like I cut it." he stammers out.

"Okay, it's okay, I'm here. Come into the bathroom and I'll have a look." I reply. He nods, taking my outstretched arm and hobbling into the bathroom. I close the bathroom door behind us, before following him in to the middle of the bathroom. I reach up to unzip his wetsuit, revealing his toned back. Damm, if he wasn't acting like he was dying right now I'd be blushing. 

I move around his body, helping to pull down the sleeves before making my way to the legs. I'm careful to pull the leg slowly, as I don't want to put his knee in anymore pain. I thankfully get the full wetsuit off without too many groans from his part. Finally, I help to pull him onto the bathroom countertop, so I can better see his knee. 

Taking a closer look, it's honestly better than I expected from all that groaning. Sure, there's a cut right across his knee, which looks like it could hurt to be walked on, but I was assuming to find that his knee had fallen off or something. Drama queen. 

"How does it look?" Christian asks as I reach for the first aid kit located in an above cabinet. 

"Oh, I'll definitely need to amputate. Do you know if they keep a chainsaw in the shed tough guy?" I ask sarcastically. Hey, he woke me up, he can deal with the consequences. 

Christian doesn't respond, instead ruffling my messy bed hair. 

"It's fine, I'll just put some steri-strips across the cut and then cover it in a bandage. You'll live." I say, grabbing the supplies out of the box. 

"I mean, you could be a little more sympathetic about it. Isn't that what partners do? Be sympathetic towards the other." Christian asks, watching me work.

"Sorry, you must've picked the wrong one. You'll just have to deal with me now." I reply, ripping open the packaging of the bandages. 

"So when we're in our 90's and I'm coughing up a lung, you'll just place a piece of tape over my chest and leave me like that?" he asks jokingly, his smirk finally returning to his face. 

"Yeah, sound about right." I joke, laughing lightly as I place the last strip across his cut. I quickly wound the bandage across his knee before discarding the plastic in the bin. 

"Now, keep the bandage on for a couple of days to make sure the cut doesn't get infected, and no more killer waves brave guy." I say, tapping my finger on his chest playfully.

"Ok nurse. I will." Christian replies, sliding gracefully off the bench, his hands landing on either side of my hips. 

"Can I get a kiss now?" he whispers, lowering his head down to my level.

"Hmmm, I don't know how HR will like the patient-to-staff relationship." I whisper back, my hands trailing up his body.

"Fuck them, it's their fault for hiring such hot workers." Christian replies quickly before smashing his lips onto mine. I grip his chest harder, trying to stay balanced from the sudden weight. I feel his lip bite the bottom of mine, causing me to gasp softly. He takes that as an opportunity to sneakily slip his tongue into my mouth. He still tastes like sea water, the salty taste taking over every thought in my brain. My hands reach for his still damp hair, quickly becoming tangled as our kiss becomes more intense.