Six

The room fell dark. It is now late in the evening, so the sun has set. The only light illuminating from the television, as it quietly plays in the background.

I fiddle with my fingers, having to keep my hands occupied. Jay has been awfully quiet since Cassy walked in on us kissing.

After she walked back out of the door, he stopped laying on me and sat like a normal person. His arm didn't even snake around my waist.

Jay is not quiet, not around me. He is very daring and doesn't care who sees what he is doing to a girl. Hell, I've witnessed one of his not-so-lovely make out sessions with a random. It was during a party, and he kissed her in front of everyone.
And no, they had never dated.

The quiet atmosphere screamed at me, causing anxiety to crawl up my skin. As much as he annoys me, I dislike when Jay says nothing.

The urge to break this painful silence was so strong. But every time I opened my mouth, the words just crawled back into my throat.
I was incapable of saying something.

Finding a way to distract myself, I grab my phone off of the coffee table. It had been sitting idly, but I need some form of entertainment.

Tapping across the screen, I sent a text to Jackson. He was my scapegoat in this situation.

"Who are you texting?" Jay finally spoke up. I bit my lip, ignoring the question.

But to my dismay, the cellular device was quickly snatched out of my grip. I look to the side, silently questioning Jay's strange action.

He didn't look at the phone. Instead, he set it back on the table. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I asked you a question," he stated.

"Yep, you did."

"It's rude to ignore people. You seem to do that a lot," I chuckle at his response.

"Stop telling me what is rude," I snap. "I only ignore you."

"Who were you talking to?" He asks again.

"Why are you so worried, Jay?" I question back.

"Because you are with me. You shouldn't be texting anyone else."

"Ugh, my god." I complain. "This is why we couldn't be in a relationship."

"Why?" He blurts in disbelief.

"You're annoying, so we always argue."

"If we were in a relationship, I wouldn't be as annoying. I would've already had the chasing part done, so the cute stuff would be left," He rambled. I'm not sure what he meant by cute stuff, but oh well.

"Whatever," I dismiss while waving him off.

Remember when I said that I didn't like when he was silent? I'm beginning to change my mind.

"No, don't be like that please."

"I'm tired," I answer.

And it was the truth. I did not have the energy to bicker with this boy.

"Then sleep," he answered.
But he doesn't understand.

"No, I can't." My fingers find their way to my hair, nervously running through the long locks.

"Why not?" He asks.
Jay curiously eyed me, waiting for an answer.

"I cannot tell you," I exasperate.
I do not want to find myself telling him anything about myself. That's when you know that you have grown close with someone.