16. The Lies

I knew what Clary had saw, it was something I didn't want her to see. She knew I had lied, but she wouldn't understand, no one would. I had to talk to her, then maybe she'd understand, maybe I could get through to her.

"Hey Clary can I talk to you?" I asked.

"What is it Daran?" She said following me outside to the cliff.

"I know what you saw and I'm sorry I lied," I said looking down.

"Why- How could you do that!?" She hollered at me, I deserved it though, I shouldn't have lied.

"I'm sorry, I just- he killed my mom, I was confused, angered, I just- I'm sorry Clary." I hated the way she was looking at me, but I deserved every last bit of it. She hugged me, tears streaming down her face, I felt her hands burn up and she pushed me away.

"No," she whispered. "I gotta go," she said walking off through the trees. Before she ran off I saw a tail of some sort, she must have shape shifted again. I walked after her, I couldn't leave her like this. No matter how much she tried to hide it, I could tell she was hurt.

"Clary, Clary come back!" There was no reply, I started getting worried. Suddenly there was a scuffling in front of me. A wolf came darting out of the bushes and tackled me. But the wolf was no wolf you see, for it shape shifted back into Clary.

"I said I had to go," she growled.

"Not alone."

"Yes alone," she turned away.

"Clary please," I sat up and grabbed her hand.

"Jay-, I mean, Daran, don't make this any harder for me," she said with her back to me. "We both know why I'm upset, and it's not just about you lying."

"Clary-"

"Daran, please, just-"

"No," I interrupted. "I'm not letting go of you again, I've done it too many times in the past, but not now. I know how he looks at you, but if he truly cares about you, he'll care no matter what happens."

"Daran, it's not just Jace..." Clary trailed off looking down at her feet.

"Then what is it?!?" I hollered. I didn't want to lose her, not like I had so many times before, the fire, Mefanleen, the book, the void, not now.

"I'm afraid," she whispered. "I don't want to fall in love with you and have you ripped from me because of the fire." I grabbed her hands, and looked at her tear stained face.

"It won't happen, I promise."

"But you've said it all before," she said letting go of my hands. "I love you and Jace equally, and I don't want to hurt any of you, not to mention, this wouldn't be the first time you lied to me." And with that she walked away, leaving me heartbroken, and confused, just as my father had. I watched her stalk away, it wasn't sadness anymore, it was anger. God I hated emotions, all they do is tare us apart.

I walked back to the house, it started raining heavily, I wanted to go back for Clary, but I knew she wouldn't want me to. I opened the door dripping wet, I took my shoes off and walked into the kitchen where everyone was sitting. They all turned to stare at me as I walked in.

"Where's Clary," Jace growled shoving me against the wall beside me. "We know about your lies, Max read Clary's mind, what have you done with her?!"

"What have I done with her?!" I sarcastically hollered back. "I've done nothing, if anything Clary's the real heartbreaker. She wanted to be left alone so I left her alone."

"You left her alone in the forest? When the sun has gone down and it's raining? You know I'm not even mad you love her," Jace said turning away and pacing around the room. "I mean, I could already see it by the way you too look at each other. But leaving her out in the rain, even if she did want to be alone, is despicable!"

"I didn't want to anger her more!" I said in defense. "I- just- ugh, I'm going upstairs." I turned for the stairs only to be stopped by Natalie.

"Look big guy, we don't give a crap you lied or like Clary, we want her safe, you hear me? And if you can't keep her safe, then you don't belong here."

"Ok I get it, I'll go get her, Jesus..."

"No," Jace interrupted, "she won't want to see you, you had your chance, Max will go."

"Fine," I growled sulking up the steps. I flopped down on my bed and felt the tears finally crawl down my face. I forgot how painful it was to live, but I guess it was better than being emotionless. I let sleep wash over me, and I had the worst vision.

I saw Max running after Clary, when she finally stopped, they talked for a while. Then they got up, hugged one another and headed home. Then out of no where Mefanleen jumped out and started attacking them.

I jumped out of my bed to a shriek, running down the steps I hurled myself of the front door and into the damp woods. I ran as fast as I could, just then I realized I was a teleporter. I teleported to Clary and Max only to be hit to the ground, I looked up and saw them tied to a tree. The last thing I saw was the face of Mefanleen, then everything went black.