Trust Like a Squirrel

As I think, "trust God like a squirrel trusts," I can't help but smile and want to laugh. It sounds so silly. But, the image I saw of a squirrel this morning made me think of nothing but trusting God and the goodness trusting in Him brings.

I had stepped outside this morning to enjoy some peace with God and was enjoying the chirping of the birds when I looked into the sky and toward the top of the tree line. My eyes landed on branches at the very top of the tallest tree that were shaking. My curiosity got the best of me as I continued to stare to see what was making all of those leaves shake; was it a squirrel, was it a bird; what was it?

Then I saw it was a squirrel. The squirrel was going out to the very end of the highest branch. I witnessed as the squirrel didn't hesitate at all even while the branches were shaking at what I can imagine would have felt like using a rope-swing bridge to cross the Grand Canyon.

Shaken or on Shaken Ground?
That visual immediately made me think of what trust in God looks like. When I think of song lyrics or scripture that say, "I will not be shaken," it may not mean that the ground beneath you or the branch underneath you is not shaking. Instead, I can see it meaning that you remain steady in your faith and trust in God even on shaky ground, or a shaky branch as it was for the squirrel.

Remain in the Vine (Branch)
As the very clear imagery with the squirrel continued to play out before my very eyes, I saw the squirrel leap to the second highest branch and continue with the same zeal out to the end of the very tip. But, what I noticed on this next branch is how clearly the squirrel clung to the branch, or rather the vine. I immediately thought of the great scripture that talks about remaining in the vine, as another reminder to remain in God. That we can trust God in all things and then we will be stronger, have more comfort and more zeal as we lean into Him though prayer, praise and scripture.

God Uses All Things for Good
Finally, as I watched the scene with the squirrel play out in my very own backyard, I also noticed the beauty of the leaves that fell from the shaking branches that were being traversed by the squirrel. How often before had I found beauty in watching falling leaves. How often do we all find beauty in watching falling leaves. It made me think that when we are weak or in the middle of a storm and still praising God and leaning into Him, trusting Him, that others will see it. Others will see the goodness that comes from our relationship with God whether or not we're being overt about it or not. This squirrel had no idea that I was watching it, yet God had so much in store for me to learn from that squirrel.

If God used that squirrel in my life, how might He be using you in someone else's life?

🐿

Key Takeaways and Thoughts:
- I will not be shaken doesn't mean the ground underneath you ISN'T shaking.
- Pause and look around to see what God is showing you; have #EyesWideOpen
- How might God want to use your shaken ground or the storm you're in for good in someone else's life?

Scripture:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:5-6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

"When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken.""
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭30:6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."
‭‭John‬ ‭15:4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:31‬ ‭NIV‬‬