(1) Teardrops and Butterflies

Teardrops and Butterflies

(Sequel to The girl in the attic)

Chapter 1

Preston’s POV

Since we found out that Katie’s cancer had gone into remission our lives had changed drastically. Katie had convinced me to let her go to school and we’ve even made some really good friends. She had to do a lot of catching up but luckily she is clever and it didn’t take her long to get the hang of things. The school knew about her situation so they were taking it easy on her as swell.

My aunt and uncle have been much friendlier since I’ve moved out. I think it has something to do with the fact that they don’t see us very often. Mr. Mack had given me a promotion and an increase which was a welcome surprise. It still wasn’t the best job in the world but at least I wasn’t doing dishes anymore.

“Were going to be late,” Katie giggled as I rolled on top of her and pinned her to the bed. She had recovered fully over the last three months and was looking healthier and prettier than ever. Her hair had grown back really fast and she had put on a little bit of weight. She really is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

“I don’t care,” I replied, pressing my lips against hers. She stopped giggling and kissed me back passionately. A person would think that our attraction for each other would lessen over time but instead it has only grown stronger.

We kissed until both of us forgot that it was Monday morning and we had to go to school. We probably would have ditched and stayed at home if Katie’s phone didn’t ring. The sound of it snapped us back to reality and I groaned as I rolled off of her. She smiled her cute little smile at me and then answered her phone.

I knew who it was without having to ask so I walked over to our cupboard and took out a pair of jeans and a t shirt. I turned to look at Katie and saw that she was chatting happily so I headed to the bathroom and took a quick shower. When I was finished I followed the smell of bacon into the kitchen. Katie is a real good cook and insists on making us food whenever she can.

“Smell’s wonderful,” I whispered into her ear as I slipped my arms around her waist from behind. She jumped at my touch, but then turned around in my arms and gently kissed me before pushing me away. I faked hurt and she laughed as she switched off the stove and started dishing up.

“So what did Brook want?” I asked as we ate.

“Nothing really, she just wanted to remind me that it was Monday morning and that school started at eight,” Katie laughed. Brooke is Katie’s best friend from school. She is the complete opposite of her but they seem to get along great.

“It’s a good thing she did, otherwise we would have been late again,” I chuckled.

When we were done eating Katie took a quick shower, got dressed and then we headed to school. We got there just in time, I was parking my car when the first bell rang. We grabbed our bags and ran into the building, making our way to homeroom. Katie and I had a few classes together. I would have preferred to have all of our classes together but luckily Brook was in the classes that I didn’t have with her, so she wasn’t alone.

We made our way into the classroom and took our usual seats next to Brad and Sully. Brad was on the soccer team and had half of the girls in school wanting him and Sully was a bit of a computer nerd but for some reason they were best friends. I didn’t get it but it honestly didn’t matter. They’ve taken me in as their friend and they are both good guys. They greeted us and then Brad started talking about the game on Friday night.

“Are you two going to come?” he asked, looking from me to Katie.

“We can’t, my parents are coming to town,” I answered, remembering when my dad phoned me a few weeks ago. He said that my mom was dying to meet Katie and that she had managed to change their travelling schedule so that they could come visit us. They were going to be staying at my aunt Julie and uncle Ross’s place since we didn’t have too much space.

“That sucks dude,” Sully remarked, he didn’t like his parents much and took it for granted that everybody felt the same way about theirs.

“No, we are actually looking forward to it. I can’t wait for them to meet Katie,” I replied honestly. My parents have been really great about everything and when Katie heard that they wanted to come visit she got really excited.  At first she was nervous that she wouldn’t live up to their expectations but after a while I managed to convince her that they are going to love her. I think my mom already does, and she hasn’t even met her yet.

It looked like Brad was going to make some sarcastic remark but Mr. Greenwell walked in signaling the end of our conversation. He is a grumpy old man and gave out detentions like they were in fashion. Nobody dared to speak once he entered the classroom.

Katie’s POV

I didn’t like Mr. Greenwell and felt relieved when the bell rang. I grabbed my bag and felt Preston’s hand slip into mine. I still can’t believe how lucky I am to have him. If it wasn’t for him I’d be dead, but instead he gave me a life I could only have dreamt of before I met him.

He walked me to my next class and gently kissed me before letting go of my hand. I know he doesn’t like leaving me alone, he still worries about me. He doesn’t admit it but I can tell by the way he looks at me.

“I’ll be ok,” I whispered softly, smiling at him.

“I know,” he replied, returning my smile.

History was long and boring as usual but fortunately I had Brook to entertain me. She is the craziest person I have ever met, but she has a heart of gold. She joked and laughed all through history and I was really grateful that I had her as a friend. She has lots of friends but for some reason she chose me to be her best friend. She is really pretty too which explains why she has a bunch of guys falling at her feet. The thing that makes her different from most girls is the fact that she doesn’t brag about it. To tell you the truth it actually irritates her.

“Can’t they see that I’m in love with Jasper, I mean we’ve been dating for like a whole year and they still don’t seem to get the picture,” Brooke complained as we made our way to our next class.

“I guess they just find you so irresistible that they can’t help themselves,” I joked, making her laugh.

Our next class was math and we had it with both Preston and Jasper. As soon as Preston saw me his eyes lit up. He rushed over to me and wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly against him like he hasn’t seen me in months. This is the way he greets me every time he sees me after a class that we didn’t have together. Jasper snorted some stupid remark while Brooke sighed and commented about how cute we are but I didn’t pay any attention to them. When I was in Preston’s arms the whole world seemed to fade to the back ground.

“I missed you,” Preston whispered into my ear.

“You always do,” I replied teasingly. I know the effect I have on him and giggled as his lips smashed against mine. He kissed me like he had forgotten where we were. I don’t think he did I just think that he honestly didn’t care. He isn’t ashamed or embarrassed about how much he loves me and he definitely didn’t have a problem showing it.