Ch.7

"And...ya." Felice finished. I don't know what she was expecting, but she looked pretty shocked when I suddenly burst out laughing.

"What's your problem?!" Felice asked me.

"It's just.. You guys are like an old married couple!" I choked out. It was true, they really liked each other, even from the beginning, but they were both too stubborn to admit it, so they just bickered and picked on each other. All. The. Time.

After a minute the all joined in my laughter, and we sat there until our faced were red and tears were streaming down our faces.

*********** *************

Mom's P.O.V.

They all thought I was going down to a small general shop a little ways down the mountain, and technically, I had. But I met this great guy and we really hit it off, but nobody had to know right?

At least that's all I could think as he kissed me in the small break room in the back of the old store.

********** ***********

Katrina's P.O.V.

"Where is your mother?!" My dad exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air and almost whacking me in the face with the spatula he was using to tend to the burgers that were currently cooking.

Who cares? I thought, but only shrugged and walked towards Jake and all the other children. They were playing tag and Max sprang up and tapped my arm, screaming "YOU'RE IT!" before taking off in the other direction. I saw Dally looking at me, and when he saw my smile evilly, his eyes widened and he waddled away on his little 3 year old legs. I came up behind him I scooped him up and sat down before tickling him. He screeched and squirmed, and I laughed before letting him down with a small kiss to his head. Felice and Hunter came up, giving Max and May piggy back rides. Jake sat down next to me and Dally squeezed in between us. Lilly, Haley, and Austin came up and sat down hip to hip and both Haley and Lilly leaned into Austin's sides. I winked at Lilly and she blushed.

We talked for a few minutes before our I heard car wheels crunching on the gravel road. My mother jumped out of the car and I immediately noticed her disheveled hair, smeared lipstick and half tucked in button down shirt that wasn't buttoned all the way. What did she run into a bear when getting groceries?

"Honey what happened?" My dad said coming up to her.

She seemed to wince at "honey" but quickly covered it was a smile I could see straight through. "Just some car troubles, but it's alright now." He looked at her, unsure. "Uhh.. I got some groceries." She mumbled.

"Obviously." I muttered, making Jake laugh and bump my shoulder.

She put some chips, hamburger buns, and a few other things down on the picnic table.

"Where's the water?" I called, getting up and walking towards her.

"No one said we needed any damn water." My mother spat at me.

"Actually, more than one of us told you! Big surprise you didn't listen." I said angrily, feeling my cheeks heat up and anger boil inside of me. Before she could reply, I felt arms wrap around me that I instantly recognized and instinctively melted into.

"It's not worth it babe." Jake murmured quietly into my ear, his soothing voice calming me down. The adults around us looked slightly amused at our display of affection, some uttering aw's and others winking and smiling. My dad looked happy for me and my mom looked annoyed.

"Another boy, huh Katrina?" She sneered at me. I felt tears spring into my eyes. Ouch. Jake tightened his arms around me, probably glaring daggers at my mother.