Chapter Eleven

"Do you think she'll leave him alone?" Ivy dared a glance at Alex, his face was impassive.

"Doubt it," He replied in a clipped tone. "She has a reputation for going after what she wants, no matter what the consequences might be."

"What-"

"Ivy?" She flinched, eyes wide and mouth open. Luke kept his gaze on the ground, his voice tired. Ivy sent Alex a look as though she was asking for help.

He shrugged, not bothered by being caught. "We simply wanted to make sure you weren't mauled by a bear."

A single pointed stare was directed at her before Alex excused himself to return to the party. Ivy watched his back until he disappeared, not understanding the meaning behind the look.

Crickets chirped, leaves rustling gently the slight breeze blowing right through them. Ivy fidgeted, unsure of what to do.

She inspected Luke, his eyes were still averted, arms hung limply by his sides and his shoulders slumped.

On a split second decision, she reached forward and embraced him with the hope that her actions could say what her words couldn't.

Luke staggered backwards, the sudden hug catching him off guard. His hands grabbed her upper arms, for a moment she thought he was going to push her away but was pleasantly surprised when his arms wrapped around. Grip tight, like he didn't want to let go.

"Thanks," He said after they pulled away from each other, the tips of his ears pink. "I needed that."

"Can I ask what happened?" Ivy tucked her hair behind her ear, peeking curiously over at Luke.

"Sure, let's just get our snacks yeah?" Ivy nodded, laughing softly at his priority for food.

Minutes later they were seated on outdoor chairs some metres away from the mingling crowd. Luke set his plate aside and clasped his hands together.

To give herself something to do, Ivy chewed on a cookie. Her head bopped along with the soft beat that resonated from the house.

"Julieta and I were together for about eight months. It's not like we were together for years but it's still a matter of months you know? I took the relationship pretty seriously and I thought she did too but I was very wrong about that.

"First it started with her avoiding my calls and not texting back, I didn't have a lot of time to worry about it because I was busy with the tour at the time and thought she was busy with work too. She got offered a lot of movie roles when we first began dating and she was pretty eager to tell the public about our relationship too."

"She was...using you?" Ivy grimaced, her fist clenched by her side. Bitterness grew for the woman with the red car.

Luke nodded, his face grim. "One night right after a show, she called me. She was drunk and kept telling me that I'm missing out on so much fun. Soon the call cut out and she didn't answer when I tried calling her back. I was really worried, I got in my car and drove all the way to Henknox.

"I figured the party was at some celebrity's house, it took a while to track her down but when I did find her she was in bed with some actor called Devon. Her excuse was that she thought he was me," Luke laughed bitterly. "The guy was blond."

Ivy's eyebrows knitted in pain, she reached for his hand, giving it a squeeze. He squeezed back.

"I ended it right then and there. I'm over it and actually, I'm really glad that it happened because it made me discover something better," Intensity had his green eyes swirling with emotion, pinning her to her spot, she was unable to look away.