Chapter Ten

“Welcome to my humble abode,” Luke stood in front of Ivy with his arms extended. He flashed her a brilliant smile and she did a 360 degree turn to stare at his house in wonder.

It was no lie that she wasn't familiar with the big city, all she knew is that it had iconic 'Henknox Hills' and the city was exceptionally humid. The fact that it was so close to the coast had a hand in that.

Ivy definitely didn't know that Luke's house was perched among many luxurious homes on the hills. It was impossible to tear her away from the window on the drive to his house. They passed home after home, each more eye-catching than the prior.

The street was lower than the house but it was still extremely private. Tall trees were planted next to the wall, acting like a force of privacy. The black gate didn't allow anyone to get a peek through and Ivy had to applaud the person in charge for handling Luke's security.

An intricate brick pathway led up all the way to his front door. Large palm trees stood peacefully next to the Spanish style home and other types of exotic plants Ivy couldn't name, stretched around them in the garden. A beige coat of paint coloured the walls and the bright red tiled roof stood out against the blue sky.

Even though the house was settled in the richest neighborhoods in Henknox, it still had a cosy touch. Judging from the front glance, it was a two story house and a balcony looked over the street, Ivy guessed the room connected to it must have been a bedroom.

“This is all yours? I would never leave,” Finally, her inspection of the front yard was finished. Luke had already unlocked the large redwood door and she found that she was left alone.

“I'm all alone?” She muttered to herself, gingerly stepping closer to the entrance. Her being was still enticed under the spell of wonder and she took a lingering glance at the spacious garden,“Whatever will I do with myself?”

Goosebumps rose on her bare arms as she strolled inside. Much to her surprise the walls surrounding her were made of stone, she ran her fingers over the rough surface with a smile on her face. The foyer was narrowed yet still wide enough for her to extend both her arms without any trouble. 

A tall vase of flowers stood proudly on a small table, the variety of colours brought forth life in the dull room. Ivy's feet padded soundlessly, the wall beside her took a turn and she took the two steps up into the living room.

Dark grey couches surrounded a glass table, a fluffy light grey carpet covering the floor below it. A flat screen television hung against the wall but what caught Ivy's eye was all the photographs littered all across the room.

A peculiar picture framed by a delicate gold design stood out. Luke was grinning broadly, a guitar held tightly in his arms like he didn't want to let go. An older woman was by his side, her hand on his shoulder with her smile directed at him.

“My mom,” A muted gasp escaped Ivy, her head swirled around to face Luke. Arms crossed across his chest he smiled at the photo, lost in a moment that had long passed. “I was thirteen when she gave me my first guitar.

“Of course, my father didn't approve. But he dismissed it as a phase that I would soon get over but eleven years later I'm here so,” He shrugged, no words left to spare about the matter. “Now, how about I show you the studio?”

At the mention of a studio Ivy's eyes lit up, she took off even though she had no idea where she was going. But she didn't get far when her feet slid out from underneath her and she crumbled to the floor.

“I'm alright,” She said before Luke could even ask but gracefully accepted the hand he offered to help her to her feet, or at least as graceful as she could get,“You said something about a studio?”