Chapter Eighteen

*Present day*

“And that's it.” Ivy sniffed as she wrapped her story up. “More cars rammed into us on all sides. The ambulance arrived, took us to the hospital. Dixon died, I almost died,  all the injuries he gave me plus that of the crash almost killed me. But I got out of the hospital soon, I couldn't stay there anymore. I told the police about Kendra, packed my stuff and joined my family here. A few months later I got the job at the store where I met Claire.”

“I had no idea,” Luke listened intently to every word she spoke as she recounted her story, she even caught a glimpse of tears in his eyes when she told him about all her pain. His green gaze flickered across her face worried, his palm wrapped around her own.

“How could you?” Her lips twist to the side bitterly. “I dragged my secrets with me, pretending it didn't exist. I was so caught up in trying to forget about it that I didn't even think of telling you. I'm so sorry Luke, you don't deserve to be lied to.”

Her head lowered at its own accord as she tried to hide tears. All at once everything hit her; never had she told anyone what actually happened the day she got away. Now, someone finally knew just what had been running through her head on that fateful day, the weight lifted off her chest and suddenly, she could breathe.

“Hey, no. No, come here.” In her haste to hide, she pulled her hand out of his. Luke gently nudged her to look at him and wiped away her tears. His touch on her skin made her melt and before she could comprehend, he hooked his arm underneath her legs — his other supporting her back — and picked her up.

“Hi,” The dorky smile on his face made Ivy want to hit him but she couldn't. A blush heated her cheeks and she rolled her eyes, her tears long gone.

“You're a dork.” She tried looking away from his hopeful face but it proved impossible and she sighed. “Hi.”

“Oh, but I'm your dork,” He pulled her closer to his chest, forcing her to tighten her arms around his neck. A gasp left her at their intimacy and her blush deepened, that surely wasn't the first time they were that up close and personal.

There was a forest in his eyes, thriving with life. One glance into them, Ivy felt like she was transported into a sacred land, a place that had to be loved and cherished for all eternity. She wondered if she'd be able to do that. The man was straight out of a novel, he was perfect in every sense of the world yet not quite. It wasn't that he didn't have flaws but he was perfect for her.

“I'd never leave you.” He pecked her cheek. “I'd never do anything to hurt you.” He walked over to the couch, gently lowering her down. A stray stubborn curl hung over her eyes, he twirled it around his finger. “And I'll kill anyone who tries to hurt you again.”

Luke pressed a kiss to her forehead, lingering there for a moment longer before pulling away and he winked at her. “Even if I just write a song about murdering them.”

A laughter bubbled up at the back of her throat and she shook her head. “I'll hold you up to that.” Laughter faded away, her face growing serious once more. “You're not mad? That I didn't tell you?”

“I don't blame you.” Luke placed his hands on both sides of Ivy, his face close to hers. Without breaking eye contact, he said, “I don't blame you for not telling me. Going through that and coming out alive, that takes more courage than most even possess. But talking about it? Having to relive it again? I can't even imagine your pain and I wish I could take it away but I can't. All I can do is to be here for you and I'm just happy you trust me enough to let me do that.” 

“I really don't deserve you,” She whispered, leaning into his hand that he placed on her cheek.

The corner of his lips quirked. “Funny how you say that because I've always thought that I don't deserve you. Guess we're both idiots, huh?”