Chapter Nine

“You can't possibly think you can go dressed like that,” Ivy raised her eyebrows standing in her doorway, eyes running down Luke's outfit.

Dressed in all black, he was a sight that could leave anyone a little hot. However, the bright pink feather boa wrapped around his neck and star shaped sunglasses made it seem like he was going to an Elton John concert instead of going to his best friend's race.

After the day in the park, it had taken Ivy two days to cool down. She wasn't really sure what had come over her but by the time Luke asked if she would accompany him to the race she couldn't say no. For three reasons.

One being that she had always wanted to go to a race, she had a thing for fast cars. The second one was that in the two days that she isolated herself in a world that only existed in her mind, she began missing the singer terribly. Not that she was going to admit that any time soon. And the last being that she couldn't let the opportunity to see who exactly Luke called his best friend slip by.

“Why not? I look dashing, a real Prince of Pop outfit,” He smoothed down his black jacket and flashed a winning smile. Ivy laughed when he scrunched his nose as the boa tickled his face. More giggles slipped past her lips as she watched him throw the boa scarf over his shoulder in annoyance.

“Still not the king?” She murmured under her breath. By the way Luke frowned with his head cocked to the side, she suspected she didn't say it as quietly as she thought.

Before he could say anything, she swiftly changed the subject,“Okay, princey.  Don't think the paparazzi won't spot you.”

“Damn,” He muttered, Ivy thought he was one second away from stomping his foot like an unhappy toddler. Luke sighed, his shoulders slumping,“Which one is it? The scarf or the glasses?”

“Both,” Ivy stood on her tiptoes and unwrapped the boa. After she successfully got it off Luke without choking him, she pulled the glasses off. His eyes widened at their close proximity but before he could react she disappeared into her house. Having him lean against the wall, his knees wobbly.

Minutes later Ivy returned, two items in hand. She stood on her tiptoes again, placing a baseball cap firmly on his head. While her attention was on the cap, his eyes were on her lips, inches from his face. 

“If you want to be so close to me, you could at least kiss me,” Immediately Ivy's face heated up and she practically leaped away from him. Instead of putting the sunglasses on him like she had done with the cap, she handed it to him and averted her gaze.

“There,” She waved a hand and trailed off, collecting her thoughts in order to continue,“that should do it. You look more like a typical guy that won't stand out. Plus that was an old friend of mine's cap, never did fit me.”

Luke gave a curt nod. The world around him tainted as he put on the glasses. He hadn't planned on actually going to the race with the extra accessories yet he couldn't help but want to gauge Ivy's reaction.

With the glasses on, he took the time to inspect Ivy without being caught. She was staring off into space, the slight breeze picked up her hair and played with it. Her aqua dress cut just above her knees leaving Luke's eyes lingering on her legs.

“Luke? We should get going?” Her hand touched his arm tentatively, her wide eyed expression resembling an innocent deer. An overwhelming urge came over him to protect her, from the world. From everything he could.

“Right.”

He shook the feeling off and headed to where his Jaguar was parked. He had arrived in the flashy car when he first decided to stay in town on vacation, it drew many eyes at but the townsfolk were all used to the ash gray car by now.