Chapter 12

I jumped over the fence. I should be safe for a little while. Why was I risking my life for this thing? They wanted it and don't care who they kill to get it. I pulled it out of my pocket. A red, round stone attached to a black cord. Not the most attractive necklace. I felt power when I held it. My brain told me to chuck it over the fence but that would mean surrendering it to the enemy. My heart told me not to.

They were close. I felt it. I had no where to hide it. I was not going in the abandoned house so that was not an option. Aha! I went over to a small spot of soil in the center of the garden. I started to dig with my hands. Come on. Hurry. Finally I made a big enough hole. I threw the necklace in and started to cover it. I grabbed a stone angel in the corner and struggled to lift it. I put it on top of where the necklace was. If I live, I will come for it later.

Guys in black sweatshirts came over the fence. I tried to run but that giant willow tree blocked my path. "Give us the stone. We're done running after you."said the person who must be the leader. Their guns were aimed and loaded. "I don't have it." "That's a lie!" Barked the leader. "We saw you steel it from our hut. I cant believe you were once on of us." I cant believe I was either. "Fine. You were never any help anyway."

He pointed the gun at me,pulled the trigger and .....

I was in my room.