|| Chapter 16 - Ancient Things||

"What am I going to do? My parents are going to kill me, if they find out! This is the third time that my phone got busted!" She paces up and down my living room.

"Umm...come with me." I gesture at her, grabbing my keys and dragging her down the stairs to the backseat of my car - I mean van.

"I don't think I ever heard myself agreeing to this." She chuckles lightly, shaking her head in disagreement. Slowly following me towards the door.

"Well, now you just have to deal with it."

-

"Don't you have proper music in your car?" She fiddles with the radio, rejecting each station that comes on.

"This is proper music, it's Katy Perry! You gotta love her! YOU MAKE ME, FEEL LIKE IM LIVING A TEENAGE DREAM!" I dance in my seat, singing out of tune.

"Do you have any ancient things lying about your little storage room?" She rummages through my car junk, ignoring my statement.

"Why do you need 'ancient things?'"

"Because you have nothing entertaining in your van." She sulks, annoyingly opening and closing the window.

"Well, try looking at the very back seats, that's where I usually have things."

"Ok." She shuffles to the back, "umm...Ashton?"

"Yes?"

"Why is there uh, a uh, used condom back here? And a mouldy pizza box?" She says with a confused and disgusted face.

"I uh, shouldn't have lend my van to my friend the other week." I quietly chuckle, I'll make sure I don't do that again.

"Well, you were right. There are interesting things at the back." She says in a monotone voice.

"We're here!" I puff, escaping from the stuffy air inside. Slowly opening the back doors, hearing silence behind the walls. As I open the door, Mikayla topples over me; I try to break her fall but I was a bit too late.

"I'm ok!" She breathlessly laughs, "the ground just needed a hug so..." She bursts into another fit of laughter, finding her little joke funny.

"Idiot." I say under my breath, not intending her to hear it.

"Oi! It's true!" She wails.

"Whatever." I sarcastically say, "just come with me, I know a guy that could help you with your problem."

"You know we just passed the phone shop." She points out.

"I know that. There's a better place for your problem." I drag her along the streets.

"Here we are." I exclaim, stopping in front of what looks like a broken down house, "don't worry, the outside is just a stereotype; the inside is unpredictable sometimes."

"Okay then." She backs away, sensing her nervous vibes towards this location.

"It's alright. It's not like they're drug dealers!" I scoff, "well not all of them." I whisper.

-

"What's up Ash!" The guy in the corner says, with an unshaved face and a scruffy shirt - I don't exactly know there names.

Wonky photo frames covered the wall, caked with dust and cobwebs.

"Hi, hello. Can you do your phone magic on my friend's phone here?"

"Yeah, ok, $20." He croaks.

"$20?" Mikayla shockingly screams, "are you serious? That cheap?"

"If I were your friend, I would quiet her down a bit or Big Bill would wake up and you wouldn't want to experience his 'moment'."

"Ok, I'll shut up." She sulks back into her seat.

"So how long will it take?"

"10-15minutes. What's your friends number?"

"I don't remember it." She buts in, so I guess I'll show her contact. Obviously.

-

"Ok it's done."

"Wow that's so cool! How did they do that?" She says in awe.

"Well, they got another phone, and transferred all your phone's info into the new one. Your parents wouldn't assume a thing."

"Ok. Spill the beans. How many phones have you broken?" She sternly looks in my eyes.

"Umm...19."

She laughs, "are you serious? You're even worse than me!"

"Don't bet on it dear, " I wink, turning the engine on and slowly backing out of the parking lot.

"Can you drop me at my house? It's getting late and my parents are probably pissed already." She asks.

"Sure. I just got to make a quick stop somewhere."

-

"Ash? Are you sure you're going in the right direction?" She creeps quietly behind me through a dim-lit alley way.

"Yes. This is definitely the right way, all right."

"Ash. There's a group of guys at the end of th-this. Are you sure this is safe?" She quivers.

"Yeah, they're the quick stop I needed to go to." I shuffle, imagining all the scenarios that she could be thinking of.

"Hey guys, Ash has come back to visit us!" The guy breathed heavily, smelling the scent of cigarette from ten ft away from the group.

"Yeah, yeah. Hey Rian and Co's." I mutter. "Now pay me my share of the deal."

"No. No. No. No." He drunkly shakes his head in disapproval. "We said that after you help me hack into the central bank's system, everything comes back to me - not to you and me."

"You're remembering it all wrong." I raise my tone, "we shook on the deal that I get half of the share! Without me, you wouldn't have gotten through the security cameras!" I shout in frustration.

"Ashton? Are you a criminal?" Mikayla slowly backs away from me.

"No. It's not like that. I'm the good guy here." I try to assure her.

"Ashton are you telling the truth to me?" She scarcely whispers.

"I am." I look into her dark brown eyes.

"I don't believe you." She spits in my face, running back to the main streets. I'm telling her the truth. I'm the good guy; I almost got locked in jail. Almost.

"We're not finish here." I mutter to Rian, still smoking a cigarette with his friends. I run after Mikayla, I just need to talk sense into her, and get her to trust me again.

"Go away Ashton." She sobs, still keeping her distance.

"I need you to trust me, Mikayla."

"Why would I? I thought you were the perfect angel that you sound like, always there, rescuing me from any danger." She yells, "I thought y-you were my Superhero, my escape to all the bullsh¡t in my life!"

"Please." I whisper, loosing hope that she would come back to me. "Please just trust me."

The streets are empty, the night sky full of stars, and there was just us.

"I don't think I could ever think of you the same way Ashton." She turns her back away from me, walking further and further away. Leaving me standing here, cold and empty. She doesn't understand, she was my only escape too.

-
Aw, I feel bad on doing this.

Qotd: if you are reading this right now, what time is it at your place? (Okay I don't want to sound stalker towards you guys but yeah...you don't need to answer then😬)

Well at mine is around noon. Yayaya! Lunch is near😂

-alex