Parents ||Jake Peralta x gender neutral reader||

For context, Beth is your friend (and an oc)

"I don't know what you're so worried about." Beth said, sitting up on a table. 

"What I'm worried about," you said, taking a book out of the shelf, "is that I'm dating a police officer. My dad hates police officers." 

Beth raised an eyebrow, "the police officer, or the professor."

"Professor. And he made an exception for my father."

She rolled her eyes, "he can make another. I'm sure your boyfriend is great."

You just shrug in return.

"Fine. I'm great at reading people, just let me read him, and I'll see if he's likeable."

You sighed. "It's not that necessarily, it's just..."

"Just what?"

"He can be a bit much. That's all."

You had been dating Jake for almost 7 months now. You were pretty sure he had ADHD—you knew a considerable amount of other people with it, and could spot several traits in your boyfriend. You accepted him for that—it made up his personality...it's what made you love him. He was so spontaneous, and so smart. He was a good detective, though you obviously didn't know how that'd play out with your dad, Kevin, as he wasn't too fond of police officers. Your father, Raymond, being the only exception. 

"Ugh, just introduce him to them. Who even cares what your parents think, you're not 15 anymore."

"I know, but I already mentioned that I was dating someone, thinking that, I don't know...Jake was just nervous around me or whatever..."

"Why didn't you just lie and tell them you weren't dating anyone?" 

"Because," you hit Beth's leg lightly with a book, "they know my tell. And you shouldn't lie."

She rolled her eyes.

"And now that they're having this party—out of the blue, by the by—

"'By the by', I swear to God, if you weren't taken—" 

You whack her again with your book before she can finish her statement.

"The only draw back is that you spend all your time in the library." She gestured around her.

"You'd be lucky to get someone with an ounce of intellect, I'll have you know."

"Ouch." She placed her hands on her chest, feigning hurt.

"You'll get over it," you murmured, kissing her forehead lightly. Jake was fine with it, because he understood that Beth was like a sister to you, and nothing would change that. Whenever you were around both of them, you would kiss both their foreheads. 

You checked your book out, and read it for a few hours before you got ready for your dad's party. You put on clothes for the party—you would wear the same thing out tomorrow for your anniversary with Jake, which you hoped your parents wouldn't remember. 

You knew shortly after you met Jake that you liked him—you ended up telling your dads about your boyfriend soon after the first date, just because he was the first person you had been excited about meeting in a long time. 

You weren't surprised that nearly everyone was already at the party when you entered. You also weren't surprised that your parents walked over to you briskly.

"Y/n, glad you could make it." Your father said, putting his hand on your shoulder, while your dad, Kevin, walked to the other side of you, and placed his hand against your back.