Motivation

Kai watches as Zuko trained. From what he knew from snippets of conversations
between the crew members Zuko has mastered the basic stances, but never the power needed to move on to the next set.

"Hey Zuko," Kai calls to the prince who ignores him and focuses on his training. "Prince Zuko," Iroh calls and this time Zuko pauses in his training to listen to his uncle.

Kai can't get his head around the man. It's obvious his cover is blown, but the old guy hasn't made any move to reveal him.

"Yes uncle?" Zuko asks. "I have decided to hand over your training to Kai here," Iroh said sipping his tea. "What!?" Zuko looks at Kai briefly and than back to Iroh. Even the surrounding guards looked shocked by this development.

"I have felt under the weather lately so until I am feeling better Kai shall be your new teacher," Iroh explains.

Zuko looked like he would spontaneously combust any moment. "You are making a colony peasant be my teacher?" Zuko asks in a angry voice. "Yes," Iroh pours himself more of his endless tea.

"Don't worry prince sunshine. Your stances are perfect, but your problem is your source," Kai explains walking forward. "What source? The sun is fine," Zuko said pointing to the sky. "Okay what I mean is your motivation," Kai explains.

"My motivation is my honour," Zuko said. "Okay come with me," Zuko stands still not following, but then Iroh said. "You won't get your allowance if you don't do as he says," Zuko scowls like a spoiled toddler and followed Kai, cursing all the way down.

They entered the engine room below deck. It was spacious and had plenty of room for the two to practice in. Zuko enters looking at his new teacher questioningly and Kai sat down in a mediation pose motioning for him to do the same. Kai brought out a candle the prince hadn't notice him having and set it between the both of them.

He sat down too, but it was more grumpy. "Light the candle," Zuko does so with no trouble. "I've done this before with uncle," he said. "Well what do you think we're doing?" The spiked haired teenager asks him. "Breathing exercises," Zuko said. "Nope!" Kai said popping the p. "This is just a good way to start it," Kai said and motions for Zuko to get into the same pose which he does.

"Your stances are perfect, you just don't have the power to move on. I want you to close your eyes and take a deep breath," Kai explains. Zuko does this wanting to get this stupid stuff over with.

"Now what do you think fire is?" Kai asks. "Fire is destruction, fire is power," Zuko answers like he's rehearsed that line since birth. "What does fire mean to you?" His teacher continues. "Fire is destruction fire is," Zuko is cut off. "What is fire to you?" Kai repeats. Zuko was going to repeat himself, but Kai stopped him. "What is fire to you? Not the bending, not the use, what does fire feel like when you hold it? Does it feel like a weapon or a companion?" Kai asks looking at Zuko who had scrunched up his face in confusion. "What are you talking about?" He asks.

"Why do you hunt the avatar?" Zuko is thrown off by this and feels like he's being interrogated. "For my honour," everyone knows that. "And what is honour?" Kai asks. "My honour is...... my honour is important," Zuko answers. "What is your honour?" Kai asks.

"My honour is important," Zuko said. "Why?" Kai asks. That gave Zuko a pause. Why was his honour so important to him? "I can't go home without my honour," this was another commonly known fact. "Why did your father banish you?" Kai asks correctly guessing that only his father would have the power to banish a prince.

"I-I," Zuko didn't realize it, but a tear slid down his eye as he remembered. "I didn't agree with a plan. A general wanted to send a battalion of new recruits to be slaughtered, but they fought for our nation!" Zuko yells and the room warms up considerately. "I spoke out of turn when I wasn't supposed to and I lost my honour for it!" Zuko yells and got up. "I'm done," he growls at Kai walking to leave.