Chapter 8

-XxreadabookxX and RolyatEnaj_

                                                               **********

I didn't sleep.

I couldn't sleep. There were too much things going on in my head. The pain, both emotionally and physically were more than I can handle.

It hurt to move, even as much as blink, it caused me to ache. The infection on my wounds got worse rom not being attended to. The hope I had in anybody finding me was completely shattered. But, the one thing that bothered me most was, Did I really look like that?

That girl in the mirror. I couldn't possibly be her.

But, I am. I'm that girl. I couldn't even recognize my own self. Where was the me before all of this?

I silently cried because if I was to cry out loud, he would hear me.

My whole body felt so weak, drained. And I..

I have never in my life felt so vulnerable and useless.

Too deep into my thoughts, I almost missed the loud knocking that echoed the house and the words that met my ears.

"Yes, officers? If this is about that girl again, Yo-," Adam's voice started, but was cut off.

"Adam Brown, I'm going to have to ask you to step away, sir," A male voice spoke, the authority heavy behind it.

"What's this about? You can't just expec-," Adam was again cut off by another male voice, the same one from yesterday, " We have a warrant. There has been witness report given by Nickolas Greene about the sightings of you dragging a girl into this residence."

The creaking of the floorboards and the multiple paddings of heavy feet, had me immediately calling for them.

My mouth opened, but all that came out was a raspy croak.

"This is unbelievable. It was just a report! You have no evidence that I even have her here," Adam feigned innocence, but for once, his perfect smooth voice was coated with annoyance and fear.

The movement and shuffling passed the door as I listened as hard as I could. Adam continually shouted his thoughts, but was never answered or replied to as they searched upstairs. When they began to head to this door, I crawled to the gate of the cage.

"Wait, officer!," Adam frantically shouted out. The sound of them freezing just outside of the door had me trying my hardest to scream or make some sort of sound to know I was there. That they were getting warmer.

"You, you don't want to go down there. There are lots of stuff down there that I'm still sorting through. You can-," Adam rushed out, but was cut off by the sound of the door opening.

"Mr. Brown, we have every right to search each and every room in this residence and...," the male voice spoke each step he took down the stairs until he trailed off when his eyes wandered the room.
Another male and female officers in uniforms appeared after him, taking in the sight.

I breathed out a relieved chuckle that had three pairs of eyes snap towards me.

"Oh my," The female gasped, immediately running over to the cage and examining the lock.

The tears flowing, but in the first of days, they were tears of joy.

One male spoke into a device," Yeah, Johnston, we have a badly wounded teenage girl. Have an ambulance truck here in 5-10."

The female grabbed her gun, turning to me and speaking softly," Move back, sweetie."

Following her orders, I covered my ears and clamped my eyes shut as she shot at the padlock.

"Okay, come on now. Your safe," the female assured me, helping lifting me up.

I couldn't focus right. Every time I blinked, it got harder to keep my eyes open.

"Sweetie, can ... hear me? Are you... The... will be... soon," her voice faded as I was lifted by someone.

Being carried, I heard the sirens as I was carried through the hallways of this haunting house. My hearing fading frequently and my eyes feeling like weights.

I was placed in what seemed like a bed, surrounded by so much unknown people in white and back uniforms. But, I didn't care. I wanted to go home. To see my mom again. To be sure I'm safe.

And to be away from here and Adam.

My eyes felt so heavy, I could barely keep one open. People bustled over me, the bed being wheeled to the white and red truck. All I remember seeing was..

Adam being cuffed and put into the back of a police car.

                                                                       *****************

vote/comment/fan