Truth to Witness

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

At the bottom of the stairs, she turned right. (F/n) entered the dining room. The kitchen door was just a couple of seconds away from her. She paused, though, when she heard creaking coming from upstairs. Holding onto her towel tighter, she forced herself to keep going forward. If she turned around and checked on the noise, she might not learn whether the mannequin really was behind the note or not. Hopefully, it wasn't, and it would remain only a mannequin.

Palm resting on the door, she pressed it inward. The door opened, and the light was on. She could see the kitchen, and her eyes moved over to the corner. Behind her, creaking was in the entrance hall. (F/n) gulped and focused on the kitchen. When her eyes moved over to the corner, the mannequin ... It wasn't there. Her heart skipped a terrible beat before its rate increased. Creaking was in the dining room, and she heard a switch being moved. Darkness filled the space.

Before she could turn around, she heard it right behind her. Swiftly, she spun around only to feel herself pushed back into the kitchen. The light switch flicked off, and the door closed. Steps sounded right in front of her. Hurriedly, she picked herself and backed up into the darkness. Her left fingers ran along the counter, and she tried to find a knife. Eventually, her fingers found one, and she tugged it out of the knife block. Instantly, she held it in front of her. "... S-S-Stay ba-back," she stuttered out as she continued to back away from the door.

No creaking followed. She waited. Nothing happened. Scared completely, she moved around the center counter and back towards the door. Her movements were slow, and she kept the knife in front of her as her heart pounded in her chest. Creaking sounded again, and she froze. It didn't come towards her, though, and it soon stopped again. Carefully, she made her way over to the door again, and her hand quickly turned on the light switch.

There in the corner, the mannequin was back in its original position. She pressed herself to the door and simply stared at it for a long while. Shakily, she held out the knife and pointed it towards it. "Did you leave that note?" she managed to ask without stuttering. No answer. It didn't even move. "You're not fooling me." Still nothing. Had she lost it again? Shaking her head, she knew that she hadn't.

No doubt she wasn't dreaming. She had pinched herself, and she was wearing her towel. Her heart was pounding in her ears, and the fear she felt was far too real to be a dream. Moments ago, the mannequin hadn't been there. It was trying to trick her. (F/n) gripped the knife tighter, and she found herself being foolish; she was taking cautious steps towards the mannequin. "I'm not playing your game anymore. You're not going to make me look crazy." Holding up the knife higher, she prepared to strike it when she got closer.

Moments away from stabbing the thing, its head snapped towards her. Its blank dark brown eyes locked with her terrified (e/c) ones. Fear took over her, and her hand accidentally dropped the knife in the process. It clattered against the kitchen tile. She took a few steps back, and it began to move its other limbs to face her fully.

Not waiting another second, she spun around and ran. Her feet carried her across the kitchen, and she threw open the door. Behind her, creaking followed, and it was fast. "Sh*t, Sh*t," she continued to repeat as she hurried for the front door. That thing really was alive! All of those other times. Oh sh*t! No, not right now. She could think about those later; she needed to get out of the house.