Chapter 7: Hama

Hey GuYyYysSsSs,,,,,, I hope you are all doing well! I'M NOT I HAVE SCHOOL NOW AND IT SUCKS AND IT'S SO LONELY I HAVE NO FRIENDS IN MY CLASSES AND I BARELY SEE MY BEST FRIEND BUT I GUESS THINGS ARE LOOKING UP HOLY SHIT. 

Anyways. Now that my brief mental breakdown is over. NEW CHAPTER!! 

Y'all- 

This chapter is a mix of stuff that I like and stuff that I don't like, and when I come back to look at this in the future, I'm gonna cringe so hard. Yay so fun and cute yayayyy. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

Presenting.......

|Hama|

Safiyah 

A pale full moon casts a glow over the night sky, despite being covered by the forest trees. All five of us are sitting underneath a tree with leafless branches that curl down like sharp claws. There's a fire a lit in the middle of our circle but besides its light crackle, the occasional ruffle of dead leaves, and Appa's soft breathing as he sleeps, the dark forest surrounding us is deathly quiet. 

Everyone in our group is taking turns telling ghost stories, taking advantage of the eerie atmosphere. But instead of being truly scary, they're all lame and do a good job in lightening the mood. Which is what Sokka is doing spectacularly. 

"Suddenly, they heard something down in the hall, in the dark," Sokka says in a raspy whisper. He crouches by the living fire, his sharp face masked by the shadows. "It came into the torchlight. And they knew. . . . the blade of Wing-Fun was haunted!" He straightens up and pulls his sword out, pointing it at the fire. He also lets out an ear-splitting wail, and I wince while covering my ears. 

Though Sokka seems satisfied with his story, the rest of us can't match the same mood. We all look bored out of our minds. 

"I think I liked 'The Man with a Hand For a Sword' better," Aang deadpans. He's holding himself up with his elbow, his eyes drooping. 

"Water Tribe slumber parties must stink," Toph says thoughtfully. 

I snort. "We didn't have the friends to have them." 

Sokka huffs and crosses his arms. "Well, I thought my story was good." He looks at me from the side. "Right, Saf?" 

I sit up, meeting his expectant look. I swallow. "Yeah, no, I thought it- I thought it was a story with potential." 

"She's lying," Toph says bluntly. 

I shoot her a glare and she smiles tauntingly. I desperately wish I knew seismic sense mainly for this reason; so that I can out Toph on all sorts of things whenever I please. 

Katara catches all of our attention when she says, "Wait, I've got one." She looks at us with firm eyes. "And this is a true Southern Water Tribe story." 

Sokka sticks his sword in the ground and sits down. "Is this one of those 'a friend of my cousin knew some guy that this happened to' story?" he says while rolling his eyes. Seeing that he sat down, I sit up to move next to him and he smiles at me.

"No," Katara says, "this happened to Mom." 

Sokka stops fidgeting goes still. I match his posture involuntarily when I notice his change of expression, now grim. Even though it's been two days since that event in the water with Katara and hearing Sokka's thoughts about his mother, I've still been fixated on it ever since. I lock my arm with his comfortingly and I pull him back so that we both lean against the thick tree root that's curving up from the ground, waiting for Katara to begin the story.