A Leap of Faith (Epilogue)

Epilogue

“A Leap of Faith”

“Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight AF006 to Paris. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes. Thank you.”

About five minutes later, a 24 years old Ben gathered his stuff, making sure he wasn’t leaving anything behind before he made his way to the boarding gate. As he waited in line, a notification from his phone caught his attention. He smiled as he opened the message.

Mom

Have a safe flight and have fun in Paris! Oh, and don’t forget to call me as soon as you land, okay? Love you!

He quickly texted a reply.

Ben

Thanks mom! Don’t worry, I’ll call you as soon as I’m in Paris! And again, happy wedding anniversary! I’m so sorry I can’t be there to celebrate it with you guys this year. But, make sure dad treats you to a nice dinner! I love you both, bye!

Oh, one more thing, please tell Emma not to steal my stuff when I’m away.

“Boarding pass and passport, sir?”

Ben quickly shoved his phone back into the pocket and gave the staff his documents.

“Have a wonderful flight, Sir.”

“Thank you.”

Ben entered the plane and he quickly found his designated seat. An economy class with barely enough room for his legs, yeah, he could totally adapt to this for the next seven hours or so. This was all he could afford after all.

 As soon as he arrived at his seat, he was welcomed by other passengers sitting by his side, an older man who dressed in some sort of formal wear and a woman who was maybe a little bit younger than the man was. Probably the wife since she kept giving the man a death glare, as if they were not on good terms, something Ben didn’t want to get in the middle with. Well at least he got the window seat.

After he sat down, he quickly put his airpods on, listening to his favorite playlist on Spotify, before he remembered the gift his parents had given him right before they said their goodbye.

He opened the wrapping paper carefully and found what looked like a photo album inside it. He opened the first page and there were words written on it.

“Something to remind you of home.”

Ben let out a smile.

It was definitely his mom’s handwriting. He took a deep breath knowing what was waiting for him on the next page. He was getting a little bit too emotional.

When he flipped the page, he found a set of pictures taken of himself, his dad, his mom, and his little sister, Emma. Ben had to smile seeing how little Emma was, she was probably still around two years old at that time the picture was taken, so much different from this teenage girl he knew now.

Luckily, Ben didn’t have to rack his brain trying to remember what year that picture was taken, because her mom wrote the details just below the polaroid pictures.

Summer, 2004.

“Our first trip to China.”