A Friend in Need

Chapter 16

“A Friend in Need”

Rachel had just come back from a long day at work when she heard bad news regarding her best friends, Monica and Chandler.

Monica and Chandler just came back from the fertility clinic after they tried to have a baby for almost a year but kept failing. After running a few tests, the doctor declared that it was hard for the couple to conceive a child naturally due to several issues they had. The news didn't only break Monica and Chandler's heart, but also all the rest of the gang.

She had known Monica since they were still little kids, Rachel always knew how much Monica wanted to become a mother and hearing the news, her heart ached for them. Hell, Monica even knew her kids' names since she was fourteen, which one of them was Emma's name she kindly let Rachel use.

It was until now she realized how lucky she was for being able to conceive and gave birth to Emma. She knew Monica probably deserved to become a mother more than anyone she knew, including herself. Monica would be an awesome mom, she was sure of that.

She recognized the look on Monica's face whenever Emma and Ben were around. Monica wanted what she had. A little jealous perhaps, just like Rachel did when Chandler proposed to Monica almost two years ago. She was happy for them, but she was jealous because Monica had what she always wanted, meanwhile she was nowhere near that. She didn't even have a boyfriend at that time. But now, the table had turned and Rachel knew better this time it was much harder than what she had been going through.

Monica and Chandler had been trying to have kids for quite a while now, but in Rachel's case, it only took her just a one night stand, a broken condom, and boom. She was pregnant.

Nevertheless, Rachel knew how agonizing it must've felt for the couple right now, especially for Monica, who wanted to become a mother more than anything in this world. Thus, she was determined to do whatever she could do to make her best friend feel better, even just a little bit. She would be there for her just like she always did for her all of these years.

Knowing it probably wasn't the best idea to bring along the kids with her, she asked Ross to take care of the kids for the night.

She kissed Emma and Ben goodbye. Somehow today she felt like she wanted to be around their kids more than ever, hugging them and kissing them, showing how grateful she was for having them in her life. But again, it wasn't her priority at the moment.

"Hey, you're alright?" Ross asked as he hugged her from behind whilst she stood by the doorframe watching Ben and Emma playing together.

She rested her hands on top of his that were resting in her stomach and gently rubbed it.

"I don't know. I mean.." She paused, trying to gather words to describe her feelings right now. "-look at them." She said, referring to their kids. "They're so beautiful and today I just feel like.. We're so lucky, you know?"

 "I know." He nodded and replied softly, joining them as they both stared at the kids.

Though neither of his kids were exactly planned, Ross couldn't imagine his life without them on it. Not even once he regretted having them even when the situation wasn't in his best interest at the time. He was in the middle of a divorce when he found out Carol was pregnant with Ben. And when Rachel got pregnant with Emma, they weren't even in a relationship.