Heart of Doubts

Chapter 12

“Heart of Doubts”

"Look.. Maybe we should take a break." He proposed.

"W-what?!" She asked in disbelief.

She couldn't believe he said those words out loud. Those forbidden words broke them apart in the past and now that they had just started rebuilding their relationship, was it necessary for him to use those words? What did he mean by 'taking a break' anyway? Was he trying to break up with her? She wondered.

Seeing the horror on her face, he silently scolded himself from using the wrong words for what he was intended to say. He sighed before coming closer to her and grabbed both of her hands into his.

"No. Not that kind of a break." Hell no, he wasn't going to try repeating the history. Not even on his craziest mind. "We can't talk like this." He started to explain. "We'll end up hurting each other's feelings and it will not end well."

Both of them were a strong-willing type of person and they were fully aware of that. They stood on their ground on what they believed. So in fights like this, usually it was hard for either of them to give in.

However,this time he knew it wasn't about winning an argument against her, but what he really wanted was for her to hear him out. And he knew she couldn't do it right now. Not when she was this angry.

She hated to admit it, but he was right. Nothing good came out from a heated arguments, they, out of all people, should've known it better. It what broke them apart in the first place after all.

Especially now when what they fought about was money. It was a very delicate topic to discuss amongst a couple and it could have ended ugly just like today and he hadn't even brought out his main concern yet. They really needed to cool off before bringing this delicate subject out again.

"So, what? We're pushing a pause button or something?" She asked to avoid any kind of misunderstanding.

"Uh-huh." He nodded. "Let's clear our mind first and when we're ready we'll continue this conversation."

"Okay." She replied in a small voice.

Tears were streaming down from her eyes at that point. She was really exhausted both physically and emotionally today. She thought they were going to have a great night now that the kids weren't around. But instead, all she got was a fight.

His face softened when he saw her crying like this. Realizing how upset she was, that moment he knew he must've hurt her feelings accidentally.

He knew how important for them to discuss this issue, but could he not make her cry and hurt her feelings in the process? He asked himself that question.

The answer was obvious. Of course he could.

He could always say it nicely, but instead he didn't. Looking at how upset she was, he immediately regretted how he approached this matter. She was only trying to be nice by buying his son some new clothes, a child that wasn't even hers, but instead of getting a thank you, she got an earful.

He finally realized how an ass he was being.

He pulled her into a hug and gently stroked her back, already feeling really bad for yelling at her before.

"Look, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. That's never my intention." He said softly. "Please stop crying."

He hated seeing her crying, especially if it was him who caused her to cry.

He broke their hug off and wiped her tears away with his thumb. "I'm so sorry."

She sniffled and looked at him with her now red and teary eyes. "I had a really bad day at work and the last thing I need today is for you to start being an ass."