Happy Birthday

Chapter 19

“Happy Birthday”

Note : The conversations written in italic were the conversations they had in the past.

Ross and Rachel's Barbados trip was a huge success. After saying 'yes' to Ross' impromptu proposal, the newly engaged couple enjoyed their extended vacation privately. They spent their vacation exploring the island, went snorkeling, enjoyed a relaxing spa especially designed for a couple, and of course exploring the beautiful beaches and the local’s unique cuisine.

It almost felt like a honeymoon and they both came home feeling more relaxed and happier than they ever did. It didn’t even cross their minds how much they needed this vacation after the hectic life they had having to care for two children all whilst still working full-time. However, the parents couldn't help but miss their children terribly so they decided to spend the first day after they came back home dedicated to their children. They took Emma and Ben to the park and enjoyed the day spoiling them and as they sat together on a bench in the park whilst they watched Ben running around the playground. At one point, Rachel surprised Ross with one question he had never seen coming.

“I know we never really discussed it before and I completely understand if you don’t want me to, but Ross.. we’re getting married soon and you know how much I love Ben, right?”

“Of course.”

“Well, I love her like he’s my own son. The days I spent with him, making sure he’s okay and just holding him in my arms, Ross..” Rachel’s voice was thick as she recalled those days where Ben would find her in the middle of the night to cuddle with her - how fragile the little boy looked that time.

Her heart clenched every time she thought about how devastated the little boy was, but then she also remembered how different the boy was compared to the boy who was now running around chasing another kid his age, smiling and giggling just like a happy little kid. Ben had been doing really great these past months and even though she knew that there would be a hole left inside of the little boy that no one could’ve ever covered, she was so happy that he was doing better. She loved him so much, it was almost unbelievable how much she could love a child that wasn’t even hers to begin with.

“I know..” Ross murmured softly, squeezing her shoulder for support. “I know how much you love him and I’ll never thank you enough for that. The reason why he’s doing so much better is you, Rach. You never treated him differently and I’m really glad he opened up to you..”

“I-I just..” She trailed off as she looked at him and saw the tears in his eyes. “I-I love him.” She breathed. “-and what I’m trying to say is.. I understand if you’re not comfortable with it and I won’t force anything against Ben’s will, but I was thinking that we’re getting married and we’re going to be a real family. I’m legally Emma’s mom, I know that and I uhm..”

“Rach..” Ross murmured as he felt his heart pounding inside of his chest. “What are you saying?”

“I want to adopt Ben..” She breathed and he swore he could feel his heart stop beating. “I want to adopt him legally after we get married, but of course before all that happens, I want to ask you and Ben. I don’t want him to think that I’m trying to replace his mommies, because that isn’t what I’m trying to do. I don’t want him to forget about Carol and Susan, they’re a part of his life and I’ll always be grateful for them. But I do want him to be my son, because in one way and another he already is.. I love him like the way I love Emma, like the way a mother loves her children.” Rachel murmured softly, smiling as she stifled her own tears when Ben waved his hands in her direction. She waved back, trying to keep her composure before looking at Ross again. “You don’t have to say yes, I understand if you don’t want to, I won’t even blame you if you did because you’re his father..”