Kajsa - VIII

-

-

EVEN AFTER THE DEBRIEF, TENSIONS WERE HIGH ON THE HELICARRIER. Loki might have been in custody, but without the Tesseract, all they could do was twiddle their thumbs.

Kajsa stood at the window of the bridge ship, staring out into the dark, void sky. She was taking a few moments to herself before talking to Loki.

In the reflection of the glass, she could see Natasha emerge from the working S.H.I.E.L.D agents to stand next to her. "You ready?"

"I think so," Kajsa was unsure.

"You've trained for this. You'll be fine."

Kajsa nods quietly and looks at the redhead. "Are we all right?"

"Of course," Natasha holds her arm. "I mean, the Asgard thing kind of makes sense now that I'm thinking about it."

"And my marriage with Loki . . ."

"Is none of my business. I know you, Kajsa, you're a good person. If you fell in love with Loki, it's because at one point he was good too, or at least to you. All that I care about it is that you're here."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. I hope Barton shares the same sentiment."

"He'll still love you, but he'll most definitely want your husband's head on a stick."

"I can't be mad at him for that," Kajsa sighed, walking away. She climbed the stairs to the briefing table. Steve was still sitting and dressed in his uniform.

"Hey," he stood. "Before you go, I just want to apologize for what I said before. I didn't mean to accuse you -"

"Love makes people do crazy things," Kajsa shrugs. "It's all right. I understand."

"So, we're good? I'd hate to lose my first friend since waking up."

Smiling, Kajsa nods, "we're good."

Relieved, Steve watches her head for the automatic doors that lead to other parts of the Helicarrier.

"Oh, and Kajsa?"

"Yes," she whips around.

"You were right. If you told me where you were from, I wouldn't have believed you."

With a chuckle, Kajsa disappears behind the doors, leaving Steve smirking.

When she arrived in the detention quarters, she found Loki sitting on the floor with his head down. Like Kajsa, no one could ever sneak up on the god of mischief. But he also didn't have to look up to know she was the one standing there.

"I was wondering when you'd come," his tone was low and cold. Not the way he'd usually talk to her. 

Swallowing, Kajsa watched him lift his head to look at her with those intense blue eyes and a smile that made her blood run cold. She instantly felt disappointed, having believed she might recognize the man she loved.