XI

CHAPTER 11: ANXIETY REAPPRAISAL

After a bit of time, the scent of smoke drifts through the leaves, and Vaughn is the first to sit up.

His hair is tousled, and he looks down at me for a quick second with a look in his eye that I can't quite read before nodding in the direction of the cabin. "Should we go get some breakfast?"

"Yeah, sure."

He stands, holding out his hand for me to grab, and I do so, letting him pull me up from my rising position. Then, I start down the moss path with him traveling behind me.

When we reach the cabin, we see Jasmine and Tommy already up, and they seem to be cooking something over the fire that they started. 

"Hey!" Tommy waves us over. "How many eggs do you guys want?"

"There's coffee inside, too," Jasmine adds after looking between the two of us.

I nod before offering to get Vaughn some when I get a mug of it for myself. Anything to escape the judgemental feeling I get from her regarding Vaughn and me. 

Even though there's nothing romantic between us, I can't help but feel Jasmine definitely doesn't want me here for reasons probably having to do with this Penny. Granted, she has made an effort to make conversation with me, but at the same time, her body language and subtle glances have told a different story. 

I just wish I was brave enough to straight-up ask why she has an obvious problem with me, but being so new here, I don't feel like it's my place. So instead I'll just play polite like her.

After everyone is awake and we've all had breakfast, we sit around the fire as we let it die out, talking some more. Tommy is joking about what a shock it was to learn where Vaughn had been staying, and Vaughn replies with a comment about it not being such a shock to his father. This causes some confusion among us except Siara and Zeke, so Vaughn relates that his dad had known where he was the entire time.

"Are you serious? How?" Tommy asks.

"He hired a private investigator."

Jasmine shakes her head. "I'm not surprised."

"By the way," Siara turns to Vaughn, "I didn't know he hired the PI until he said so, otherwise I definitely would have shown up at your doorstep demanding you return."

He smiles slightly, "Yeah, I can imagine you would've."

"Anyway, you said you knew the guy, too?"

Vaughn purses his lips slightly, then looks in my direction quickly, seeming to almost be making a decision. Then, he nods and clears his throat. "Yes, I knew him. His name was John Agner."

My brain doesn't even register what he's said until his eyes are back to checking mine, seeing my reaction, and I feel my lips part slightly in shock.