XXX

CHAPTER THIRTY: THE WEDDING

A.N. // HI !! Surprise, I'm publishing this early. Please read the epilogue, it's not that long and ties everything up. <3 

The end of May is here faster than I anticipated, and with it comes the anxiety of going to a wedding.

Jasmine and I had driven to the destination together, with me staring out the window or at the painted flowers on her nails as she focused on the road. And when we finally arrived, we were both pleasantly surprised at everything.

It's a small wedding, at least so far, apparently consisting of the closest family and friends, and the location certainly didn't disappoint.

It's simplistic, scenic, and looks like something out of a fairytale. There's a clear stream steadily flowing and a fairly short stone bridge over it. To one side of the water is the parking, with the treeline a good distance away. And to the other is the event of the evening.

Soft, green grass, fluffy clouds at the skyline, and noble trees with large trunks are the backdrop to the main focus.

Rows of dark, polished wooden seats and a white aisle runner in the middle lead the eyes up to an octagonal white gazebo. It's been layered with ivy and string lights, and there is no shortage of flowers, either.

A few of the trees have also been gifted fairy lights to hang for the occasion, their large branches spread out above everything, providing a glowing extra touch.

The ceremony will take place during golden hour, followed by food, music, and dancing under the decorated trees.

Jasmine heads away to speak with someone she apparently knows, and so I'm left standing at the end of the bridge for a moment, viewing everything from a safe distance.

I immediately spot Vaughn speaking with someone as well, so I just close my eyes and take a deep breath in, feeling the fresh, clean air fill my lungs. When I open them, I simply observe all the little details.

The little flower girl with her little flower crown. Shiny jewelry accenting countless necks, wrists, ears, and fingers. The wail of a small child from somewhere within the celebrational chatter. A tiny butterfly's wings fluttering from above one of the decorative flowers, fighting to not be blown away by the soft breeze. The chirps of the songbirds from the branches. Kids holding colorful pinwheels, people in pastel dresses, string lights swaying lightly.

Tables, it would appear, are already set up for after the ceremony, and I briefly wonder who the caterer is. I hadn't thought to ask.

With one last deep breath, I decide to head over to the crowd of people.

And not long after, Vaughn and Zeke somehow immediately find me, which I'm most grateful for. Not knowing many people at an event always feels awkward.