XXIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: THE AFTERMATH

A.N. // Thanks for 3k on this story<3 Can't believe there are only two more chapters after this one -- also apparently some people actually skip prologues and epilogues ??? who could do such a thing. a heinous crime is what that is. ok I'll shut up now here's the chapter

I'm at Freed's, in the cellar and my phone is about to die. I've already called 911. Listen, it's Tommy. It's Tommy. He had Malee down here, and I'm pretty sure he had Ethan, too.

It's Tommy.

It's Tommy.

It's Tommy?

He's driving, but he's not comprehending any of it.

How could he, yet?

All he hears is 'It's Tommy,' over and over again, her distraught voice echoing the words in his mind.

Tommy, his practically lifelong best friend? A kidnapper? A torturer? A murderer?

And is she okay? Are they okay? He speeds up, hands gripping the steering wheel tighter as time goes by. He doesn't know how she is, because the phone call ended as suddenly as it began and she's not answering now.

She's not safe, and it feels like he won't get there in time.

What if I'm too late? What if the police are too late? What if something happens, what if...if he...if Tommy-

He feels sick, and he's not sure if it's due to the anger or the fear, so he settles for both.

When he reaches Freed's, he realizes he's arrived not long after the cops, as she seems to just now be stepping outside and following a man holding Red in his arms. Her front is splattered with what he assumes is blood, and she appears to be crying.

He wastes no time, leaving the vehicle running.

When she catches sight of him, he's already before her, pulling her into a fierce embrace, not caring how blood has now transferred onto him, though he does briefly wonder whose it is. He's afraid to ask whose it is.

Mikaere returns the hug just as tightly, not aware of how they're both shaking.

But he sees his left hand's slight tremor as it reaches for hers, and he feels hers violently trembling as she squeezes his for comfort. Running his thumb over her hand, back and forth, he feels the relief at her safety before the anger starts to course through his veins.

"Are you hurt?"

"Vaughn, I-" Her voice breaks off into a sob, and she hates how she sounds, but she's too exhausted and taxed to care.

"I'm here, I'm here," he mumbles into her hair. "You're okay, now. You're safe." Over and over, and it soothes her enough until she suddenly pulls back.