IX

CHAPTER NINE:  THE CABIN

Learning about the murders motivated me to finally sit down and figure out my budget and financial details. Even if I'm not blonde, I'd rather not remain in a motel for longer than I have to. Anyway, after doing so, I decided to move in with Malee. Moving day was two days ago, and today I'm on my way to Westergaard lodge, following Vaughn's direction via his very punctuated texts. He doesn't use emojis, nor does he seem to care for my avid use of them.

Siara also texted me about the weekend trip, using plenty of exclamation points, apparently having gotten my number from her brother. I asked her if she thought I should leave Jared at the apartment or if I could bring him with me, and she said I could bring him if I wanted. But after seeing how enthusiastic Malee was about possibly being able to play and hang out with him, I decided to leave him with her. Besides, it's good for him to get acquainted with the apartment and being left alone at times.

Moving in took some effort between me and Malee, and a couple of her guy friends, one of which just so happened to be Darren. When we both saw each other on moving day we were quite surprised, to say the least. But it was fun talking more with him, and now we even have each other's phone numbers. 

The first thing I noticed about the apartment upon stepping inside was the musty smell. It wasn't very pleasant, but with cleaning and open windows, it was slightly improved. Two bedrooms, one bathroom, one kitchen area that's connected to a living room. It's exciting to be able to have a place to remain, finally. 

Malee has quickly become my closest friend. Well, my only friend, really. In a few days, we've discussed practically everything we can think of, staying up late munching on popcorn and watching movies. She's so much fun and I'm so glad to have met her, especially considering I've never had a friendship like this before.

Pulling up to and parking at the lodge, I see Vaughn immediately. He is leaning against the side of a large red pickup truck, looking at the smartphone he's most likely got since he's been back. He wears a pair of simple black jeans, a fitted, tight black t-shirt that accentuates his lean figure, and to my surprise, a pair of sunglasses that somehow make him appear even more intimidating. I don't know why I'm surprised, as it is quite sunny out. Nevertheless, the butterflies at the sight of him are still there, and I try my best to kill them.

"No Jared?" Siara asks as soon as I reach them, and I notice Vaughn's eyebrows furrow slightly, head tilting up for a split second before moving down to look at his phone again. And suddenly I wish he weren't wearing sunglasses if only to try and read the silent words in his eyes.

He stays quiet, but Siara seems to notice whatever our interaction just was, as the side of her mouth quirks. I don't know what to make of it, so I just answer with a simple, "Not today."

Then, I turn my attention to the one person I haven't met yet.

"Hi," I say holding out my hand to the tall, attractive man to my left. Dark, thick-styled hair, deeply tanned and clear skin, with multiple rings on his fingers. If I had to guess, I'd say he's around 6'4 or 6'5. "I'm Mikaere."