XXII

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: THE RETURN

a.n. // double update today :) thanks to each of you for reading this<3

I'm laughing with Tommy over something Malee said about Red when I get the text from Darren.

What he says catches me off guard, but I knew it.

After the Aveburg Affair, he didn't talk to me for weeks. No text, no call, nothing. Apparently, his pride and ego had really taken a hit that night.

But eventually, in mid-November, we all just started hanging out again, without discussion of what happened or any other explanation. I thought everything was fine, but if I'm being honest, deep down I knew he still was harboring something. 

I just didn't think he'd wait until January to talk about it, but okay.

So I respond to his, 'Can we talk?' message with, 'Sure. I'm at work, but you can stop by for lunch if it works?'

He says it does, so I don't bother to tell Malee about it. Instead, I just pocket my phone and go back to work until my break eventually arrives. And when Darren's car pulls up, I see him get out of the vehicle, but he doesn't enter the bar. After a minute or so, I decide to head out, confused as to why he's not coming inside.

Cold air hits my skin where it's exposed seconds before my shoes touch the snow as I shut the door behind me, immediately making eye contact with the blond.

"Hey?" I say, walking over. "What's up?"

"Could we...I...could we walk? While I talk and explain?"

"Okay..." I trail off, nodding and motioning for him to lead the way. 

He does, and I follow as we move down the street away from Freed's. I stay quiet, waiting for him to speak first. When he does, I'm surprised by his use of the nickname that only Vaughn's usually called me by. Malee tends to call me Mikki, instead. 

"Mik, you remember how I stopped talking to you for a bit after that whole thing?"

"Yeah."

"And then I never actually explained why?"

"Yeah."

"That wasn't what a real friend would do, and I'm sorry."

"It's okay...?" I answer. "I guess I'm just curious as to why you did it."

"You see, the truth is, I was caught off guard."

"Well, yeah, I didn't see the scarecrow clown coming either. Not to mention the ice water."

"No, I mean-" He pauses. "I mean you and Vaughn caught me off guard."

What? 

"What?"