XIV

(a

(a.n // i will be publishing two chapters today, so make sure you check back again for the second update<3 )

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: OPTIMISM

I find out from the papers.

Vaughn's stepmother - though I can't recall him ever referring to Katelynn like that - is dead at the hands of whoever is running around killing blondes. It was strangulation this time, with some sort of rope, cord, or wire, and the multiple theories regarding the killer are all I seem to hear about these days. She was found in a relatively safe area, but it happened at night, which seems to be the recurring theme with all of the attacks.

The headline refers to Vaughn's father as a millionaire. And I have to say, I really did not see that one coming. At all.

"Miss! Refill on the coffee," an older man gives a shout a few tables away from where I currently stand taking an order. I try to give what I hope is a convincing smile and nod before focusing my attention back on the table in front of me. It's a little past noon, and my shift at Freed's for today is nearly over. I'll have a little time to myself before heading over to the bank.

By the time all three tables seem taken care of, I head back to the bar, where Tommy is wiping down the countertop. When we were at the cabin, I saw that he has scars on his upper arms. I've noticed he tries his best to hide them, so I don't ask about it. Whatever it was, though, had to have been rough given how long and deep the cuts were.

I contemplate asking him for advice on whether or not I should go see Vaughn, but instead, I just decide to send him a text. Or should I call him? Would a text seem too impersonal? But then again, it's not like Vaughn knew Katelynn for very long, and from what Tommy told me, he didn't even like her.

I sigh, closing my eyes and resting my head down on the palm of my right hand. I'll just text him. And I'll text Siara too. 

Siara, who has, as Tommy tells me, temporarily dyed her hair darker again, regardless of Zeke around or not. Tommy himself still has the light hair, though. When I asked him why he wasn't worried about getting attacked, he just shrugged and made a comment about how the chances of it happening are still low.

Malee keeps trying to pressure Darren to dye his hair, but he doesn't want to, either. He's a lot like Tommy, I think. 

The two of them are my closest friends, and while I see Malee every day, it's rare to go more than a couple of days without Darren talking or hanging out with us, too. 

It's been a while since I've talked to Vaughn. 

The last time I saw him was when I ran into him at the grocery store a few days ago. I had been shopping with Malee and Darren when I went off by myself to grab some orange juice, and there he was. He seemed caught off guard as well when he finally turned around and saw me. But, after the initial surprise, he smiled and we said hello. And then Darren appeared and slid his arm around my shoulder, and the next thing I knew Vaughn was saying it was nice to see me but he had to go.