0.3 » as promised

It had been a week since Kaity almost drowned and she was already getting back into the swing of her normal, rather boring life. It was nearing two-forty five in the morning and she had just gotten off work. The casino was still full of people playing the slot machines, drinking, and playing blackjack.

Kaity could never understand how so many people wasted their nights here, shelling out every penny they had in hopes to win big. She supposed she aided in the problem, too, being the one who supplied the alcohol to the gamblers.

But that was her job, and there wasn’t much she could do about that.

Kaity walked to the employee lounge, loosening the buttons on her white button-down as she entered the combination to her locker. She swung the door open and grabbed her belongings within. She never liked to drive home in uniform – it was too stuffy and constricting for her liking and Kaity always liked to be comfortable.

She walked into the bathroom and changed quickly into her pajamas, which consisted of flannel pajama shorts adorned with whales blowing their spout and a holy tee shirt promoting the local little league baseball team.

It was her brother’s and somehow, she inherited it, but she only wears it to sleep. Kaity kicked off her black heels in turn for her foam flip-flops. She tied up her long, brown hair into a floppy bun on the very top of her head.

Kaity knew she looked like crap, but she didn’t care as she stalked out of the casino, none of the gamblers paying the least bit of attention towards her. She unlocked her car and threw her bag into the backseat and started the drive home.

She lived only twenty minutes away, but she wanted to get home as soon as possible so she could sleep. When Kaity got tired, she tended to get grumpy, so she always liked to get home fast and catch up on her missed sleep.

Kaity drove down the lonely road, the radio the only thing keeping her company. She yawned, long and drawn out, but stiffened when she felt her stomach growl. She had skipped her break during her shift, wanting to earn more money, but it was only coming back to bite her in the ass now.

She drove for a while more, trying to ignore the rumbling in her tummy. She knew she was going to have to stop and get something because she barely had anything at her apartment.

Kaity turned into the local 24-hour grocery store, parked and got out of her car. Despite the late hour, there were a few cars besides Kaity’s in the lot.

The automatic doors parted ways for Kaity as she entered the quiet grocery store. Her stomach growled again, begging for food. She rolled her eyes, but made her way back towards the refrigerated section of the store, looking for some kind of quick TV dinner to sate her when she got home.

She strolled through the aisle until she finally picked out a small bowl of frozen mac and cheese. Kaity made her way towards the front of the store, her large bun bobbing on the top of her head. But then an idea popped into her mind. She hadn’t had her favorite ice cream in the longest time; mint chocolate chip.

She decided to treat herself while she was still at the store. Kaity cut across three aisles until she made it to the long row of freezers with the glass windows. She vowed to herself that she would only get a pint and not a gallon. She didn’t want to get fat.