2.4 » you never know

Kaity sat in the passenger seat of Luke's truck, her hair whipping wildly around her face as they barreled down the highway. She had tried to wrangle her hair into a ponytail earlier but it was rendered useless.

That was what first caused her to laugh - her hair. Then when she realized what she had just done to Shawn, she started to laugh harder. Her laughs echoed through her ribcage, bringing tears to her eyes.

"I can't believe you did that!" Luke laughed with her, his eyes crinkling in the corners as he did so. "I was holding myself back, but you, I never expected you to slap him, let alone kick him in the balls. I swear I could kiss you right now," he continued, sneaking a glance at the giggling girl in the passenger seat.

"Well," Kaity giggled, her hand coming up to cover her mouth and her vicious blush. "I'm not stopping you," she challenged, trying to calm herself down. She sucked deep breaths down as she watched Luke roll his eyes at her, but an easy smile still on his face.

"Seriously," Luke said, his ocean eyes meeting hers momentarily. "Are you okay, though?" He asked. He had asked her once they had gotten in the truck and left the beach, but she was too busy laughing at herself.

Kaity shrugged, her arms crossing instinctively over her chest. Her giggles had died down and Luke rolled up the windows, her hair now lying flat. She couldn't bother to tie it up at the moment.

"I could be better," she answered. Now that she thought about what Shawn had said, and not her kicking his balls into next week, she was feeling down. It hurt to know what was once her close friend thought about her.

And to know he didn't even care if she would have died or not - she was beating herself up for even being friends with him at one point. And she felt even worse for once hating Luke because he took the Triple Crown title away from Shawn.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

"I'm sorry I ruined your first time surfing," he finally said, his voice lower than it was before. It was husky, almost tinged with sadness. "Let me make it up to you?" He asked as they rolled to a stop in front of Luke's house.

Kaity hadn't realized how close they were to his house and now they were already there. "It wasn't your fault, Luke. If it weren't for them, my first time would have been amazing. You did great, you don't have to make anything up to me," Kaity told him, smiling at him with a closed mouth.

"I know," Luke said, chuckling softly. "But I still want to do something with you. It's almost sunset, and I have something in mind. But we need to go inside and change first. I don't want anything reminding you of Shawn where we're going."

Kaity smiled and nodded. Luke unlocked the truck and they both got out. He twined her hand in his as he led them to the front door and into the house. They trailed through the hallway until they emerged in Luke's room.

He let go of her hand, rummaging through a drawer before pulling out a familiar bikini. It was the first one Luke ever let her borrow - black with the vibrant red and yellow flowers spotted over it. Kaity remembered leaving it here the day that they almost kissed.