2.9 » me and you

grab a snack, this is gonna be a long one

»

Kaity pulled up outside of Luke's house, pressing the horn twice before turning down the radio. She waited patiently, her eyes trained on his front door. Moments later, the door swung open, Luke stepping through the eve.

He was dressed in a pair of dark skinny jeans and a white shirt with the Reef logo that worked well to elongate his already broad shoulders. She watched as Luke pulled on a snapback as he jogged to her car, throwing open the door and sliding inside.

"Hey," he smiled, leaning over the console to give Kaity a small peck on the lips.

"Hey," she returned, pulling away from the curb and speeding back down the street she had just come. "Are you sure you're ready to do this?" Kaity smiled, a chuckle falling from her lips as she glanced at Luke.

Dark sunglasses now shielded his eyes, but he still met her gaze. "Of course, I am!" Luke laughed. "It's just your family. I can handle anything they throw at me."

Kaity laughed, her grip tightening on the steering wheel. "I don't know, Lucas. They can get pretty rowdy sometimes. All of my family is going to be there. Cousins, aunts, uncles, weird grandparents. They love their holiday barbeques."

"Trust me, Kaitlyn," Luke returned. "I have weird family, too. This is going to be a piece of cake for me."

"Whatever you say, Darling," Kaity replied, reusing her nickname for him. From the first time she had said it, it had just kind of stuck, and Luke wasn't exactly complaining that she was calling him that.

Luke chuckled and shook his head, and turned up the radio. Kaity said that her parents had lived a little bit away, but not far enough away that they wouldn't be able to make it back in time to visit Ryan and Beckett for their beach bonfire later on in the day.

They drove for a little while longer, the radio keeping them company as Kaity drove. It was nice to drive Luke around for a change, seeing as he was the one always playing chauffeur. After about a half hour, Kaity pulled into a long dirt driveway lined with palm trees on either side.

A strong sense of nostalgia set into her bones, even though it had been a few months since she had been at her childhood home. It still brought back good memories whenever she visited.

"Now's your last chance to back out," Kaity said, slowing down to a decent speed as they approached the field where everyone was parked. She sent him a glance, a smirk pulling on the corner of her mouth.

"I'm not backing out," Luke said adamantly, slipping his sunglasses off and hanging them off his neck. "I volunteered to come and meet your family, so that's what I'm going to do."

Kaity nodded once and pulled into an open spot by the field next to her parent's house. She turned the car off and slipped her keys out of the ignition before stepping out of the car, with Luke doing the same. Kaity rounded the car, meeting Luke by the back of it, twining her fingers with his outstretched hand.

"C'mon," she said, tugging on his hand lightly. "Everything is out back. Just be prepared for an onslaught of questions from everyone, even my little cousins."

Luke chuckled, nodding and letting Kaity lead the way, pulling him along. They rounded the house to find a slew of people in the backyard. Three long tables full of already made food were spread out across the lawn with chairs on either side. There was a large in-ground pool next to a small pool house.

Beside the pool house was a grill hard at work, cooking food for the massive amount of people that were already mingling about.

"Kaity!" Someone exclaimed and Kaity shook her hand free from Luke's.