1.5 » quick and painless

That weekend, Kaity and Michael met for their long overdue breakfast together. They met at a local diner early, seeing as Michael had to work at the grocery store for one of the earliest shifts. But they still wanted to meet for breakfast, so they decided to go just as they sun started to rise.

"So," Michael said, leaning forward. His hair was still messy from sleeping, but Kaity was sure that he would fix it before he had to clock in. He was already dressed in his ugly green collared shirt for work so he wouldn't have to change when he got there. "You're going to tell me everything that happened after you walked away from that fire, you hear me?"

Kaity sat back in the booth, a blush burning in her cheeks. She had tried to keep her mouth shut for the longest time about what happened between her and Luke. On the way home that night, Kaity refused to tell them what happened, seeing as she didn't feel comfortable talking about it with Dillon in the car. They were friends, but he didn't need to know all the business about her love life.

That was reserved for Michael and Neely only.

"C'mon, tell me what happened, Bug. I wanna know how you came back with that sweatshirt on," Michael teased, poking her elbow that was leaning on the table.

"Okay, okay!" Kaity exclaimed, pushing Michael's hand away with a small chuckle. No matter what, Michael was always able to get information out of her. "We went for a walk. He convinced me to start learning to surf after I become a stronger swimmer. And then he may have kinda kissed me," Kaity rushed the last part.

Michael's eyes grew wide, keeping his excitement to a minimum since they were in public. But Kaity knew if they were in her apartment, he would probably be running circles around it.

"Bug," he said, a grin spreading across his lips. "This is great! He's so into you and I'm so happy. Was he a good kisser?" He asked, his enthusiasm brightening his shining eyes. Kaity nodded and felt the blush burn her cheeks a rosy red.

"He was," she affirmed. "He knows how to treat me right, Michael," she continued, her eyes finding the waitress walking towards them. She was carrying the food they ordered. She approached the table, setting down the appropriate plates in front of them.

Michael, like always, ordered chocolate chip pancakes and Kaity had ordered an omelet. She wasn't overly hungry, but she still wanted to meet up with Michael.

"I'm glad he does," Michael said once the waitress walked away. "Or else I'd kick his ass and never let him talk to you again," he said, popping a slice of pancake into his mouth. Kaity gave him a pointed look and he rolled his eyes. "Please, you know I would."

Kaity cleared her mouth, "Michael, you can't hurt a fly. Besides, Luke is a surfer and you work at the grocery store bagging groceries for old ladies. I love you, but you have no muscles whatsoever."

Michael rolled his eyes and tried to fight the smile pulling onto his lips. Before it could widen, he took another bite of his breakfast.

"But if meant saving you from getting your heart broken, I'd try my damned hardest," Michael said, pointing his fork at her.

"And that, Michael," Kaity said, pushing his fork away with her own. "Is why you're my best friend," she continued, stealing a bite of his pancakes before he could stop her. She popped it into her mouth, pulling her plate back protectively before he could do the same to her.

"You're pushing it, Bolton," Michael warned, "You're really pushing it."

Kaity groaned, covering her face with both of her hands. "Michael, you know how I feel about that," she whined. "I feel like you're about to break out in song every time you call me by my last name."