20 - Fundraiser (2)

^^Mr. Forbes and Darla's costume

Lillian's POV

"I think we should get going." I cleared my throat, letting go of Nate. "Miss Grace must be waiting for the list."

"Right..." He mumbled and extended his hand. "Keys?" I gave it to him and he walked to the back of the car and opened the trunk. "She forgot to tell you where to check."

I stood next to him and saw many files and folders in there. He grabbed the first one, which had the tag 'Donors' data', and closed the trunk. Quietly, we walked back inside. When we reached, I saw another group performing on the stage.

"I'll go give this to Miss Grace," Nate said, stepping backward. I nodded my head and descend the stairs. Standing at the bottom, I searched for my friends.

"Excuse me?" I twisted my head to my right to see a woman dressed like a ghost bride in a white gown. "I'm sorry, but can you move a little?" She pointed down. "You are kind of standing on my veil."

I hopped back, panicking. "I-I am so sorry. I-I didn't see it there-"

"It's alright my dear." She gave me a sheepish smile. "It's actually my fault to wear such a big veil in a crowd like this." She struggled to gather it in her hands but failed. "This is a mess."

"Uh..." I trailed off, looking around. She looked like someone's parent.

"My husband told me not to wear this, but I was stubborn and now I can't even walk. I'm too embarrassed to call my son." She huffed, crossing her arms. "It's the curse of not listening to your husband."

"I have safety pins. Do you want me to fold and pin it for you?" I offered, taking out a few pins I had in my pocket.

Her lips spread in a huge grin. "Yes, please!" I folded the veil and pinned it.

"It's really beautiful," I said, observing the embroidered flowers on it.

"It's my wedding veil. I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to wear it again so that's why I chose this costume." She answered as I finished pinning it. "Thank you so much for helping me or else I would have ruined it." She smiled at me.

"It's not a big deal." I ducked my head, feeling shy.

She giggled, patting my shoulder. "You're an adorable girl."

"Thank you," I whispered, playing with my fingers.

It's not every day I get praised by people except my parents.

"Now I'm going to enjoy this event." She grinned and waved, walking into the sea of people. "I'll see you around!"

I didn't know why, but she sounded familiar. I couldn't recognize her because of the heavy ghost makeup.

Looking around, I saw Ben and Toby standing near the pillar in the corner, and walked toward them.

"Have you guys seen Chloe?" I asked when I reached them.

"She was with Maddie, I think," Ben replied.

"They seem to have hit well." Toby snickered.

"Even though they are opposite." Ben wondered and looked at me. "How the hell did that happen?"

"It's better that you don't know," I mumbled, adjusting my glasses.

Frowning, he opened his mouth to say something, but when his eyes flickered behind me, he cursed. "F**k."

"What?" I tilted my head in confusion as I watched both their faces turn irked.

"Behind you," Toby grumbled, and I turned around to look for what caused their sour mood to see Mr. Forbes entering the ballroom with a young woman by his side.