Chapter 3

My eyes fluttered open, I smiled gripping the sheet over me. I felt so awake and refreshed, until I remembered where I was and the situation I was in.

My nose picked up a terrible scent, I cringed, and then I realized that smell was me. I gagged. I almost didn’t want to go downstairs smelling like this.

My stomach got the better of me and I climbed out of bed and made my way down the stairs. I could hear clanking of dishes in the sink as a silently padded my way into the kitchen. I saw Zayn standing over the stove, and Liam over the sink. They were the only two awake.

“What time is it?” I asked silently, still standing in the doorway,

Both of the boys heads flipped to me, “Oh India you’re awake!” Zayn smiled,

“It’s about nine,” Liam replied, giving a little smile and looking back towards the sink,

“Want pancakes?” Zayn asked, lifting his spatula,

“Sure,” I smiled, “Can I call the police station I want to know if they’ve heard from my dad?”

“Of course,” Zayn said seriously, putting down his spatula and walking towards me, “I’ll show you to the phone,”

I was surprised when he grabbed my hand, guiding me out of the kitchen. He let go too soon when we were halfway across the living room, “It’s in the office, through that door and on the desk… oh you’ll see it, good luck,” He smiled before making his way back towards the kitchen.

Zayn was a weird person, when I first met him I remembered how serious and unkind he looked; now he was all smiles. Strange to think how that was just a day ago.

I made my way to the desk, sitting at an old swivel chair. I picked up the phone, catching a breath before I dialed.

Moments later the police station picked up, “Hello police department how may I help you,” a woman answered. I was smart enough to call the actual station, instead of 911, I didn’t want them panicking.

“I’m India Roberts, My dad and I were out taking photographs before we got separated and… I-” I paused, not really sure how to even explain, “I don’t know where he is or if… if he’s still out there,”

I swallowed, trying to fight back the tears. I missed my dad; I just wanted him to be okay. Somewhere in the pit of my stomach I felt like he would be… but there was still that thought.

“Yes hello India where are you now,” The woman said,

“Oh I’m fine, a guy found me… took me in just… please help me,” I replied

“Yes of course, please explain your father, name, appearance, what he was wearing, everything,” The woman replied,

I tried to recall the night that felt like so long ago, I shot back all the information I remembered, starting with basics.

“Well his name is Chris Edward Roberts and he’s 46, short brown buzz cut but he was wearing a navy blue ski cap and a red and black flannel jacket, with a grey sweater under. Boots and everything, We’re from Colorado but we’re here taking pictures for a magazine,” I rambled on,

I was going to continue before the nameless operator behind the phone replied, “India, I’m pretty sure we found your father,”

I smiled widely, my heart started beating fast, I replied quickly and excitedly, “Great when do I get to see him where is he, is he there can I talk to him?” I shot off every question I could think of,

“No, India, I don’t think you understand. Are you sitting?” She replied,

Suddenly everything hit me like a freight train that was on fire, going twice its speed. I was in shock; I stared blankly at the plain wood wall in front of me.