Chapter 2

I came to my senses, I smelt a fireplace; I could hear the fire crackling.

What an odd afterlife, I thought. Oh god, I’m in hell.

No, actually, I wasn’t feeling any pain at all. The numbness in my foot was almost gone. I tried to remember all that happened the night before, all I could remember was trying to cross a lake and my foot fell in.

Suddenly it all came back to me.

I started to smell coffee, my eyes popped open as I sat up abruptly. That’s when I noticed the pain, and I fell right on my back again. I winced, scooting down the wool quilt on my lap and staring at my stomach. My shirt was torn and there were claw marks. I wasn’t wearing my coat, boots or snow pants anymore. But no one had changed me out of my shirt. I was thankful for that, I wasn’t up for a random person groping me.

I looked around at my surroundings; I was in a small living room. The walls and floors were wood, there was a wall covered in books and bookshelves, and in the middle of that wall was placed a crackling fireplace. I saw a doorway, and in the doorway a small light was on. There was also another doorway perpendicular to that one, but i couldnt see in it. I also saw a window, and outside of that window it was pitch black.

I shuffled up the soft worn red couch, sitting up as gently as i could. I was alone in the room. I was thinking about standing up and wandering the house, trying to find someone. But before I could even think about standing, a small mousy brunette walked in.

“Oh!” She exclaimed, pausing in the doorway and looking at me, “Liam she’s awake!”

I sat there, worried about who had saved me… and if I’d have to make a run for it.

My thoughts melted away as a gorgeous wavy haired brunette walked in, he smiled widely at me.

“Thanks Louisa,” He said patting the girl on her shoulder, and making his way across the room to me.

He sat on the end of the couch, I pulled my knees up to my chest, shying away into the opposite corner of the couch.

“Hey I’m Liam, how are you feeling,” The boy said, sympathetically.

“Fine.” I replied quietly, shyly.

“You got beat up pretty bad last night… when me and Zayn found you… wow” He broke eye contact with me, looking down and rubbing the back of his neck.

I got sad when I didn’t see his soothing deep brown eyes. I wasn’t afraid of him, I almost found an attachment to him, even though we just met.

“Where am I,” I asked,

“Yakutat… Alaska, me and my friends house…” He said, not quite sure which I needed the answer to.

“Where’s my dad,” I asked

“Um,” He replied, unsure of how to answer.

I heard footsteps as I looked up and saw four people piling into the doorway.

The first person that walked into the room was gorgeous, he had dark brown hair, almost black. He was tall and tan looking, his hair was down, hanging just above his eye. He had a focused look on his face, I saw stubble on his face. Behind him was the girl I first saw when I woke up, I think her name was Louisa. The next two people walked in at the same time, almost shoulder to shoulder. One had curly hair, the other a shy looking blonde.

The only girl here was Louisa, I wondered what kind of girl she was, so far she seemed sweet.

They all sat in chairs around the room, we all stayed silent before the blonde boy spoke up, surprisingly, he looked the youngest and shyest.