Epilogue Story 1: Ka'Kwet

Ka'kwet reached out and pulled down an apple and placed it in her basket. She could hear the trees whispering around her as her mind focused on the simple task. It was days like this that her mind could feel truly free of darkness and worries. "You should have waited you know" Elijah yelled as he walked down from the house holding an empty basket of his own.

"And wait for you to take all morning to wake up? no thank you" she jested back with a small eye-roll. If living with the man had taught her anything, it was that waiting for Elijah to start his day was the same as waiting for snow on a summers day. Somehow he would find tens of hundreds of other things to fill his time away from work. "If you want to beat me today, you will need to move fast" she sang out happily tempting her basket into the box. According to Gilbert, these were to be sent to England. Which meant that they would need to pick them early to ensure that they were fresh and ready for when they arrived across the sea. Did they not have apples in England, Ka'kwet thought absentmindedly.

"You like working too much" he muttered to himself as he began to work quickly. 

"Excuse me?" she asked, wanting him to say that again but louder.

"I said, you like working too much" he added. Her hand rested itself on her hip as she judged him silently. It reminded him too much of his mothers stern words when he was a child. "you live and breath chores. When you are not picking apples you are cooking or cleaning. You need to take a break sometime" he said more determinedly. It was true, ever since Gilbert and Anne had returned to Toronto, she was either mending holes in socks or keeping busy.

"You are right, I do like it" she stated clearly this time. He took note of her short answer and hurried on to collect more apples. They had spent time living in the same house, but apart from their friendly bantering and jests, they were strangers. "Why does this bother you?" she asks, her peace of mind being disrupted by his declarations. 

She didn't seem to get an answer, so peaking her head out from behind the bush she put her basket down and folded her arms across her chest. "Please tell me if you have something you would like to say" after living at the presidential school for so long, she had good intuition to determine if someone was upset with her or not. Often at times, she could tell even before they could tell themselves. This seemed to be one of those cases.

"No," he cleared his thought, rubbing the back of his neck in discomfort. Her curious brown eyes watching every move he made. Suddenly, he regretted asking at all. "I just want to know you better" he stated clearly finally. Her brows creased suddenly in confusion before she masked it quickly. Elijah caught the brief movement and now focused his curious gaze on her. His confession felt too personal, and she had yet to say anything.

"Why?" she asked softly, so much so that he almost missed it. "Why do you want to get to know me better?" she asked taking a bold step forward.

"Why wouldn't I Ka'kwet?" he stated frankly, it was the first time she had heard him say her name, and she could not deny that she did like the way he pronounced it. She had never heard her true name being said like that before. But alas, his statements weren't making any sense. He didn't seem to be answering any of her questions. His responses seemed to just be pushing towards more confusion, and bigger questions. 

"I still do not understand Elijah" she stated again. This was the first time she had said his name too. They had gone this long with not referring to each other at all, but at this moment it felt necessary to use their names. "You aren't making any sense at all. I am not the type of person one needs to get to know," she stated more to herself. She had yet to fully detail her experiences to even Anne. She wasn't sure why Elijah of all people would be curious to know more about her. Not when there were so many other interesting subjects to put one's mind to. 

"You don't see it, do you. What an amazing person you are. And you hide it," he took a breath, he was glad that she hadn't interrupted him yet, like the many women in his life would have. But stopping now, he would never have the guts to continue. "But I see you when you don't think anyone is seeing you. And that's who I want to meet. I want to know you" 

No one had spoken to her in this way before. And she found herself speechless, breaking out of the silent state, her head began to shake and her eyes began to well up with tears. "why?" she asked again.

"I think you are incredible," he stated, putting down his basket he approached her and wiped her tears with his thumb. "I want you to be happy" he added once her tears had gone. "I want you to see yourself the way I see you" he added reaching for her dark black hair. How long had he spent thinking about her hair and how the strands seemed to never stay put in the tight neat knots she tried to do. Her hair deserved to lay happily on her back, free and spirited in the wind. 

"I am happy" she whispered not able to meet his eye. She wanted to be happy. "I feel safe here. I belong" she stated meeting his eyes. For the first time today, her mind was clear and happy, and she did not need to actively fight the darkness away. Tangled between the leaves and Apples of the orchid, her head rested on his chest. With his arms around her, the darkness would never dear to come near. 

Thanks for reading, liking and/or commenting my dear beautiful reader. Do you have an epilogue idea? feel free to share! xx

 Do you have an epilogue idea? feel free to share! xx