Reasons

Sakura cracked her fingers, glaring at the crater in front of her. Ino sat on the bench, speaking rapidly to Hinata about who knows what. But Sakura wasn't focused on that. She had the brute force down, but she had slipped in her ability to direct the force. She needed to angle her fist more. Also, she needed to review illusions and how to get out of them.
"You know, the training ground is supposed to be a flat, even surface. Not a bunch of potholes." Ino smiled as she picked her way across the ground. Hinata had left, apparently. "You don't usually train...are you worried? About messing up in front of him?"
"Shut up." Sakura grunted. "It's just...I really need to beat his ass senseless."
"Ohhh, sakura...?" Ino looked innocent, which meant she was going to say something annoying and frustrating. "Isn't he they guy you had a giant crush on when you were young? And then who left you? And then who came back a hero? The one Wh-"
Dirt and gras flew into the air, as the earth rippled and exploded under Ino's feet.
"I'm sorry, what were you saying? I'm too busy to listen to all of your prattling Ino," said Sakura, looking like a cat who caught the canary. Not to mention, unlike Ino, she was standing poised, with barely any dirt on her.
"You know, you are a pain in the ass sometimes." Ino grumbled. Sakura helped her up with a laugh.
"I'm not the pain in the ass here, trust me. Wanna go get some food? I think I've left the training ground in a bad enough condition for today."
"Sure," said Ino, "but you're buying."
As they walked into the city, whispered and stares followed them, or more accurately, followed Sakura.
"Look at them. Trying to figure out why he challenged you." Ino was clearly delighted in the confusion and disbelief around them.
"HEY FLOWER GIRL." A crowd surrounded them, the speaker a short girl in their midst. "Why the hell'd sauske challenge you? You aren't important at all. You are nobody, you are so far below him. He shouldn't waste his time on you. After all you are just a stranger to him."
Ino backed up, slipping out of the crowd. Sakura could handle herself.
Sakura stood there, her long pink hair covering her face.
"Excuse me. I want to get through." She said it calmly but Ino could her bunched fists at her sides.
"No, you little loser, don't you hear me?"
Sakura started to walk forward. They tried to push her back. They couldn't move her at all. The crowd pressed harder, trying to stop her from leaving, but she just walked through them, effortlessly, they were no match for her sheer power. Then one of them threw a fireball at Sakura. People were screaming, and smoke filled the street.
And then a green glow lit the smoke from within.
Sakura knelt over one of the crowd, who's face was burnt, green light emanating from her hands, healing. She herself had burn marks up her left shoulder.
She moved from person to person, healing. When all others were safe, she healed herself, her burns fading to a discolored path of skin.
"Well," said Ino, "good job, but I'm hungry, so I bought you and I food. Mind if it's ice cream?"
"Well at least I don't have to buy."
"Oh, sakura, you know, you are paying me back."
As she walked off with her friend, Sakura was unaware what eyes were watching from the shadows.

That night:
Walking through her trees always calmed her mind, and so she wandered like a troubled ghost, searching for something, and yet not wishing to find it.
Why her? Why did she have to love that..why did he have to tell her thank you when he left and then ignore her when he got back, now that he was the powerful and mighty, ignore her for years! I mean really, he didn't speak to her, and if he did only because he needed too, and acted like he didn't know her. She heard laughter from her left and turned away from it. She didn't want to see anyone right now. And then... She had talked to Naruto about it and he had tried to talk to him but he had told him she didn't matter?! And now he had challenged her. Out of the blue. Well, she wasn't going to let this escape her. After all, she was far more then the love struck girl she was when he had left. She was going to beat him, so that she could find out why he had ignored her. she would beat him so that he would see she was not the same as before. And she would beat him because....

because it's hard for a goddess to let love go.