One Last Chance

24th December 2009

He had been to funerals before. For relatives that he didn't know and for his parents' acquaintances that he's unfamiliar with. Thus, even surrounded by the crying people, Tooru never really felt anything strong while praying at the funeral. He just felt pity for someone to be leaving the world.

But now he's feeling numb.

He can hear the hysterically crying coming from Kageyama Ayane as she sobbed on the ground. No one was helping except for an elderly man who's embracing her in an attempt to calm her down. A woman who looks similar to Tobio is crying silently as she glares at Ayane.

His head hurts.

"I... I need to go out for a while,"

"Tooru—"

He left before Iwaizumi could continue his sentence. It's only when the surrounding is quiet and no one is in sight that the tears dropped. His knees feel weak that he crouches down and hide his face in his arms as he cried out.

"Tobio..."

"...Oikawa-san?"

He lifts his head to see Kunimi looking even more listless than he usually is. Usually, Tooru wouldn't let anyone sees him like this; hair messy with cheeks stained with tears. But he's too tired to care. It wasn't like Kunimi looked any better either.

"It was suffocating inside, huh?"

Tooru stays silent as Kunimi sat beside him, "Your suit will get dirty, Kunimi,"

"Not like anyone would care,"

Tooru let out a humourless laugh, "True..."

"Oikawa-san... Did you know that Kageyama has a crush on you?"

Tooru glared at him though the boy only looks at the sky emotionlessly, "Why are you telling me this?"

Kunimi smiles softly, "Because he himself didn't notice it. Kindaichi and I notice and I think even the others do, too. He would look at you like you hung the moon and stars in the sky,"

"..."

"But you treated him like shit,"

Tooru snapped.

Grabbing his collar, Tooru lifted Kunimi up. Kunimi is also glaring at him and Tooru grit his teeth as he slammed Kunimi to the nearest wall.

"Why are saying all of this now?! Are you saying that my shitty behaviour causes this?! I don't need some apathetic brat telling me that I'm a shitty person if I already know it!"

Kunimi is still glaring at him as he gripped Tooru's arm that's holding him up tightly., "Well, that makes the two of us!"

"Kunimi—"

"I was his friend but I did nothing! There are so many things I see but I couldn't do anything! No... I didn't do anything..."

Tooru releases his grip as the usually emotionless and apathetic Kunimi cried. Even if the boy seems mature with the way he held himself and his logical way of thinking, he's still just an eleven-year-old boy who had lost his friend. Gently patting his head, Tooru held him close as Kunimi cried on his shoulder.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Kunimi..."

But even when someone said the same thing to Tooru, he wouldn't believe it.

***

"...I can't believe he doesn't change much except for his height. How the hell can he grow even more?"