The Boy Who Left

15th December 2009

"Oikawa-san! Can you practice with me today?"

Tooru grimace. It's been almost nine months since Kageyama Tobio joined the team and six months since he had been asking Tooru every day to practice with him and teach him his serve. Despite the constant rejection, the boy never seems to give up.

"No way, idiot! How many times do I have to say it," Tooru stuck his tongue out at Tobio. He knows that he's acting immaturely but it has become a habit at this point.

"But..."

"Nope, don't want to! Bye!"

He turned his back from Tobio and drag Iwaizumi with him. Tobio stayed silent and it seems that there isn't much resistance today. Usually, Tobio asks at least three times. At least.

"Sorry, Kageyama... Don't forget to lock the doors,"

After walking for a while, Iwaizumi suddenly smack his head.

"Ow! That hurts, Iwa-chan!"

Iwaizumi scowls, "Stop being mean to Kageyama already! You'll be a high schooler next April. Try to act like a good upperclassman for once,"

Tooru pouts, "I can't help it! Tobio-chan is so annoying, asking the same thing every day!"

Iwaizumi rolled his eyes and look at him in disappointment. No matter how many times he denied it, Iwaizumi really has the quality of a mother. A very scary, violent mother,

"Kageyama didn't do anything wrong. Don't you usually like it when people are worshipping you?"

"Tobio-chan is different! He just wants to steal my skills even when he's already a genius. What a thief!"

Iwaizumi didn't say anything but his steady glare quickly makes Tooru uneasy.

"I know, I know. I'll practice with him next week. Consider it as his birthday present,"

"Wait, you remember his birthday?" Iwaizumi looks surprised but he also seems amused about it which quickly causes Tooru to speak in defence.

"I remember everyone's birthday! I'm the captain after all!"

"Sure, sure, whatever you say,"

Tooru pouts but he didn't say anything else. No matter how annoying Tobio is, Tooru couldn't forget his birthday. Surely the boy would jump in joy when Tooru practised with him. Tooru smiles. His blue eyes would surely sparkle in joy.

He never did manage to play with Tobio again.

The next day, Kageyama Tobio was reported to be missing.

***

"Are you okay now?"

Tooru looked at Iwaizumi who was holding a near-empty tissue box. He was looking at him worriedly and it warms Tooru's heart to see Iwaizumi caring for him. He nods but stays silent. Iwaizumi sighs.

"You really scared us all you know. Especially Kageyama. The kid still looks nervous,"

Tooru turns to look at Tobio who is still practising but every once in a while, he would glance towards Tooru in worry. Tooru feels like crying again but it seems there are no tears left.

"Sorry... I'm okay now,"

"Really?"

Tooru smiles reassuringly but Iwaizumi stills look at him in worry. Immediately after that, Tooru turned his gaze to Tobio as he stood up and began walking towards Tobio. Everyone is paying attention to them now but Tooru doesn't care. Even if this is a mere dream, Tooru would take this chance to finally bury the regrets he had 8 years ago. Tobio noticed him and immediately went towards him in worry.