Misfortune Route - Chapter 4

Upon arriving home, Satoko was still sleeping soundly. It didn't take her long to arise from her slumber. Hawks had helped her take her medications and fed her. It made him chuckle to see her eyes widened at meals he'd give to her.

"You'll get to live like this the rest of your life." He smiled kindly towards her.

"I'd like to try something other than chicken." She commented. "Don't you ever feel uncomfortable eating that? How the heck is it your favorite food?"

"I'm more like an angel. Didn't I tell you?" He had a carefree smirk.

"What kinda angel has red wings? You're like a cardinal more than a chicken." She mumbled.

"So I upgraded from chicken to cardinal?!" He beamed. "Pretty soon, you'll be calling me Keigo."

"You wish." She snorted. Then she paused for a moment. "Hey, I'm thankful for you helping me, but I think I should see Dabi and Shigaraki. They might be worried for me."

"Worried?" He sat next to her. "I would say far from that. They only wanted to use you for your strength and powers. Nothing you can do can change their hearts."

"I don't believe that." She shook her head. "Even something in me changed...A little.. I guess meeting them and you. I never thought I would be doing the things I'm doing. Caring about others like this when I never cared for myself."

"Don't talk like that." He frowned. "You're a strong woman who is capable of everything. Your family was wrong about you. Your heart is genuine like a real hero." He nudged her a little with his wing. "You should care about yourself just a little more. You're worth it." He then tapped his chin in thought. "But you need to be careful with those two. They're still criminals despite being human. I'm only doing this to protect you from being so reckless. You're strong, but you can't let them get to your heart."

...

Those words stuck with Satoko for the past month. She ended up conquering the guilt she felt leaving Dabi and Shigaraki behind and looked more towards staying with Hawks. She still felt guarded whenever other heroes would be around, but he would always hold her hand to reassure her. Satoko wouldn't be confined to his apartment either, but when she does go out, he would fly her to places that Dabi wouldn't possibly get to.

Flying has its perks to go greater lengths that would make it nearly impossible for the villains to know where Satoko resided at. Hawks would take her to sightings. Like going out to lunch and dinners together. Visit a downtown marketplace, seeing Satoko's eyes widened from all the stuff. Even a small carnival that she would go on rides with him. To his surprise, she would be afraid of roller coasters that she would cling to his arm.

He would tease her for being that way. Her flustered, angry face would be so endearing. All of these moments just to be for his job. He had instants where he brought up the League, but she shot him down. It was like she didn't want to talk about it.

More needed to be done. He needed to get closer to her. There was some feelings he felt for her, but the job part of him outweighed that. Some more time had passed. A second month went by and Satoko started becoming more relaxed around him.

She stopped calling him chicken. Still not Keigo, but Hawks. She would start teasing him and laughing a bit more. Those walls of mistrust were weighing down on her. This was it.

During a starry sky, Hawks flew her to a secluded place to watch the stars. They were sitting next to each other while they had boxes of food to eat dinner. To Satoko's surprise, fireworks lit of the sky. The lights lit up the waters in front of them.

"This is beautiful." She gasped in awe. It was like she was acting like a little kid in excitement. Not only that, the colors reflected upon her yellow eyes.